University Avenue Project: V. 1: The Language of Urbanism - A Six-Mile Photographic Enquiry by Wing Young Huie (Paperback, 2010)
Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $25.71Free postage
- Brand new condition
- Sold by simplybestprices-10to20dayshipping
- See details for delivery est.
- AU $11.95+ AU $7.95 postage
- Good condition
- Sold by ausreseller
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionAcclaimed photographer Wing Young Huie explores the complex cultural and socio-ecomic diversity of the St Paul neighbourhoods along University Avenue. This urban corridor connects a burgeoning condominium community, mom and pop stores, big-box retailers, schools, and family homes. At one public school alone, students have emigrated from sixty-six countries. These colliding cultures reflect the gamut of the evolving American experience, from old world to developing world to modern world. The book, which springs from the public exhibition of the same name -- a six-mile-long gallery running from May through November 2010 with 500 pictures exhibited on store windows and buildings and projected at night onto a large outdoor screen -- explores the power of photography to destroy stereotypes and reveal cultural richness among the peoples of a city. The book and the exhibit, presented by Public Art Saint Paul, with major support from the Joyce Foundation, document the everyday lives of citizens connected by this singular street. In addition, Huie engages the subjects of his photographs with these questions: What are you? What advice would you give a stranger? How do you think others see you? What don't others see? How has race affected you? The University Avenue Project t only collects Wing Young Huie's stunning photography but also provides the stories behind the photos in the residents' own words and a behind-the-scenes look at the complexities of staging this nationally significant exhibit. Volume 2 will document the reactions to and interactions with the exhibit.
- Author BiographyWing Young Huie has photographed the dizzying mixture of socio-economic and cultural realities of the changing American city. His best-known work, Lake Street USA, transformed six miles of a Minneapolis thoroughfare into an epic photo gallery. The University Avenue Project will be installed in St Paul in May 2010 and will run throughout November 2010.
- Author(s)Wing Young Huie
- PublisherMinnesota Historical Society Press,U.S.
- Date of Publication28/06/2010
- SubjectPeople & Places: General
- Place of PublicationSt Paul
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintMinnesota Historical Society Press,U.S.
- Content Note80 colour & 80 b/w photos
- Weight310 g
- Width215 mm
- Height255 mm
- Spine9 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Management: the Essentials by Mary Coulter, Megan Woods, Stephen Robbins, David De Cenzo (Paperback, 2015)
- AU $111.65New
- AU $93.38Used
- AU $93.38New
- AU $101.47New
- AU $80.95New
Save on Textbooks
- AU $69.90Trending at AU $82.00
- AU $87.99Trending at AU $90.54
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $78.44
- AU $39.02Trending at AU $50.24
- AU $69.89Trending at AU $74.12
- AU $104.88Trending at AU $108.80
- AU $21.33Trending at AU $23.60
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.