All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionIn Unlocking the Past, Martin Jones, a leading expert at the forefront of bioarchaeologythe discipline that gave Michael Crichton the premise for Jurassic Park explains how this pioneering science is rewriting human history and unlocking stories of the past that could never have been told before. For the first time, the building blocks of ancient lifeDNA, proteins, and fats that have long been trapped in fossils and earth and rockhave become widely accessible to science. Working at the cutting edge of genetic and other molecular techlogies, researchers have been probing the remains of these ancient biomolecules in human skeletons, sediments and fossilized plants, disaur bones, and insects trapped in amber. Their amazing discoveries have influenced the archaeological debate at almost every level and continue to reshape our understanding of the past. Devising a molecular clock from a certain area of DNA, scientists were able to determine that all humans descend from one common female ancestor, dubbed The Mitochondrial Eve, who lived around 150,000 years ago. From molecules recovered through grinding stones and potsherds, they reconstructed ancient diets and posited when such practices as dairying and boiling water for cooking began. They have reconstituted the beer left in the burial chamber of pharaohs and kw what the Iceman, the five-thousand-year-old hunter found in the Alps in the early nineties, ate before his last journey. Conveying both the excitement of invative research and the sometimes bruising rough-and-tumble of scientific debate, Jones has written a work of profound importance. Unlocking the Past is science at its most engaging.
- Author BiographyMartin Jones is the first holder of the George Pitt-Rivers Professorship of Archaeological Science at Cambridge University and was chairman of the international Ancient Biomolecules Initiative research program.
- Author(s)Professor of Human Geography and Director Institute of Geography and Earth Sciences Martin Jones
- PublisherArcade Publishing
- Date of Publication05/07/2016
- FormatPaperback / softback
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintArcade Publishing
- Weight431 g
- Width152 mm
- Height226 mm
- Spine23 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $35.04Trending at AU $36.68
- AU $27.64Trending at AU $34.94
- AU $32.22Trending at AU $40.58
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $24.26
- AU $39.30Trending at AU $40.16
- AU $34.16Trending at AU $35.20
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $27.06
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.