Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $27.54Trending at AU $43.90
- AU $80.99Trending at AU $87.85
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $77.47
- AU $71.88Trending at AU $73.18
- AU $82.89Trending at AU $85.35
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $79.34
- AU $34.76Trending at AU $42.60
About this product
- DescriptionThis volume represents a serious attempt to understand what it is that structures the pedagogical experience. In that attempt there are two main objectives. One is a theoretical interest that involves examining the issue of the subjectivity of the teacher and exploring how intersubjective negotiations shape the production of classroom practice. A second objective is to apply these understandings to the production of mathematical kwledge and to the construction of identities in actual mathematics classrooms. To that end book contains substantial essays that draw on postmodern philosophies of the social to explore theory's relationship with the practice of mathematics pedagogy. Unpacking Pedagogy takes new ideas seriously and engages readers in theory development. Groundbreaking in content, the book investigates how our thinking about classroom practice in general, and mathematics teaching (and learning), in particular, might be transformed. As a key resource for interrogating and understanding classroom life, the book's sophisticated analyses allow readers to build new kwledge about mathematics pedagogy. In turn, that new kwledge will provide them with the tools to engage more actively in educational criticism and to play a role in educational change. TABLE OF CONTENTS. Series Editors' Foreword. Ackwledgments. Introduction: New Perspectives on Pedagogy for Mathematics Classrooms, Margaret Walshaw. SECTION 1: PSYCHOANALYTIC APPROACHES TO PEDAGOGY.Teachers and Curriculum Change: Working to get it Right, Una Hanley. What Does it Mean to Characterize Mathematics as Masculine ?: Bringing a Psychoanalytic Lens to Bear on the Teaching and Learning of Mathematics, Tamara Bibby. Diamonds in a Skull: Unpacking Pedagogy with Beginning Teachers, Tony Cotton with Corinthia Bell, Lauren Betts, Rachel Cartwright, Rachael Dean, Amy Howard, Katie Pidgeon, Joanna Thompson, Laura Willis, Deborah Silberstein, Hannah Stonehouse, Suzannah West, and Jamie Wilcox. The Good Mathematics Teacher: Standardized Mathematics Tests, Teacher Identity, and Pedagogy,Fiona Walls. SECTION 2: DISCURSIVE APP ROACHES TO PEDAGOGY. Fragile Learning in the Mathematics Classroom: How Mathematics Lessons Are t Just for Learning Mathematics, Diana Stentoft and Paola Valero. Learning to Teach: Powerful Practices at Work During the Practicum, Margaret Walshaw.Regulating Mathematics Classroom Discourse: Text, Context, and Intertextuality, Elizabeth de Freitas. Playing the Field(s) of Mathematics Education: A Teacher Educator's Journey into Pedagogical and Paradoxical Possibilities, Kathleen Nolan. SECTION 3: INTEGRATED APPROACHES TO PEDAGOGY. Life in Mathematics: Evolutionary Perspectives on Subject Matter, Moshe Renert and Brent Davis. Deconstructing Discourses in a Mathematics Education Course: Teachers Reflecting Differently, David Stinson and Ginny Powell. Learning through Digital Techlogies, Nigel Calder and Tony Brown. The Paradox and Politics of Disadvantage: Narrativizing Critical Moments of Discourse and Pedagogy, Dalene Swanson. About the Contributors.
- PublisherInformation Age Publishing
- Date of Publication15/06/2010
- SubjectEducation & Teaching
- Series TitleInternational Perspectives on Mathematics Education S.
- Place of PublicationGreenwich
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintInformation Age Publishing
- Content NoteIllustrations
- Weight435 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine17 mm
- Edited byMargaret Walshaw
- Series Edited byBharath Sriraman
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.