All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionIn the middle of the Mojave Desert, Las Vegas casis use billions of gallons of water for fountains, pirate lagoons, wave machines, and indoor canals. Meanwhile, the town of Orme, Tennessee, must truck in water from Alabama because it has literally run out. Robert Glenn captures the irony - and tragedy - of America's water crisis in a book that is both frightening and wickedly comical. From manufactured sw for tourists in Atlanta to trillions of gallons of water flushed down the toilet each year, Unquenchable reveals the heady extravagances and everyday inefficiencies that are sucking the nation dry. The looming catastrophe remains hidden as government diverts supplies from one area to ather to keep water flowing from the tap. But sooner rather than later, the shell game has to end. And when it does, shortages will threaten t only the environment, but every aspect of American life: it faces shuttered power plants and jobless workers, decimated fisheries and contaminated drinking water. America can't engineer its way out of the problem, either with traditional fixes or zany schemes to two icebergs from Alaska. In fact, new demands for water, particularly the ermous supply needed for ethal and energy production, will only worsen the crisis. America must make hard choices - and Glenn's answers are fittingly provocative. He proposes market-based solutions that value water as both a commodity and a fundamental human right. One truth runs throughout Unquenchable: only when America recognises water's worth will it begin to conserve it.
- Author BiographyRobert Glennon is the Morris K. Udall Professor of Law and Public Policy in the Rogers College of Law at the University of Arizona. He is the author of many articles and books, including the acclaimed Water Follies: Groundwater Pumping and the Fate of America's Fresh Waters.
- Author(s)Robert Glennon
- PublisherIsland Press
- Date of Publication30/11/2010
- SubjectEnvironment & Ecology: General Interest
- Place of PublicationWashington
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintIsland Press
- Content Noteillustrations
- Weight594 g
- Width161 mm
- Height228 mm
- Spine26 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $57.99Trending at AU $62.11
- AU $34.67Trending at AU $36.61
- AU $73.12Trending at AU $74.82
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $23.76
- AU $37.59Trending at AU $40.09
- AU $34.02Trending at AU $36.09
- AU $28.51Trending at AU $29.80
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.