Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $27.54Trending at AU $44.05
- AU $80.99Trending at AU $88.14
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $77.73
- AU $71.88Trending at AU $73.43
- AU $82.90Trending at AU $85.64
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $79.61
- AU $34.73Trending at AU $42.75
About this product
- DescriptionLondon based Yang Lian is a celebrated Chinese poet and essayist, widely kwn both inside and outside China. He was invited to visit New Zealand in 1988, and arrived in Auckland in 1989, where he was at the time of the Tiananmen Square massacre. His subsequent four traumatic years in New Zealand were extremely productive artistically and made his name internationally. Unreal City presents, in an English translation, a selection of poems from this period, as well as a number of his essays, appearing in English for the first time, which meditate upon the experience of living in an Antipodean city from a startling, fresh perspective. These fascinating and moving texts are accompanied by tes and an introduction, which sets Yang's work in the context of Chinese, New Zealand and world literature.
- Author BiographyYang Lian is based in London with his wife, the novelist Yo Yo. He is a prominent figure in world poetry, is said to have been shortlisted for the Nobel Prize, and has won numerous international awards including the prestigious Flaiano International Prize for Poetry in 1999. His work is published in many languages. Hilary Chung was educated at Cambridge (MA) and Durham (MA, PhD) in England, has taught at the University of Sheffield, and is now Assistant Dean of Arts and a lecturer in Asian Studies at the University of Auckland; Jacob Edmond recently completed a doctorate in comparative literature on The Experimental Poetry of American poet Lyn Hejinian, Chinese/New Zealand poet Yang Lian and Arkadii Dragomoshchenko of the former Soviet Union and teaches at the University of Otago.
- Author(s)Yang Lian
- PublisherAuckland University Press
- Date of Publication28/02/2006
- SubjectPoetry Texts & Poetry Anthologies
- Place of PublicationAuckland
- Country of PublicationNew Zealand
- ImprintAuckland University Press
- Content Noteillustrations
- Weight1080 g
- Width100 mm
- Height100 mm
- Spine100 mm
- Edited byHilary Chung,Jacob Edmond
- Translated byHilary Chung,Jacob Edmond
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (UK)
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.