All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionStrolling through this wide sweep, gazing across the fleet of trains bound for Paris or Brussels, the powder blue steel vaulting soaring above them, the inside of a giant whale's ribcage, a hymn to the infrastructure of our hyper-connected age; like Jonah swallowed up by it all, by the hum of the giant extractor fans, the deep hum at the heart of it all - back here, home again, lost in London...With a property portfolio consisting of a beach hut in Kent, and a career as evanescent as it is unprofitable, the narrator of Unreal City is a flaneur fallen on hard times, a creative bewildered by the slick speed of the digital age, watching as the sculptors and painters and bon viveurs begin to slip away and the advertising hipsters take over old stomping grounds. From the nights in old Soho, where an anymous green door was the gateway to a decadently dingy paradise, to the days amid the shabby post-industrial elegance of Hackney's canalside warehouses, this is a stalgic love song to the drifters, the artists, the glamorous misfits, the degenerate waifs and the barmaid-enchantresses of the capital's backstreets and shadowy corners. The pages in this special edition are unbound, gathered in a sleeve, and antated by the legendary producer and DJ Andrew Weatherall. Accompanying the pages are a six-track original CD soundtrack composed by Andrew, and a 10-inch record containing one remix.
- Author BiographyMichael Smith is a writer, film-maker and broadcaster. He is the author of two works of fiction, The Giro Playboy and Shorty Loves Wing Wong, and has written features for the Guardian, the Observer, the Idler and Dazed and Confused, amongst others.He has made a number of short films for BBC 2's The Culture Show. His short film Lost in London was premiered at the Barbican Centre, London in June 2012.
- Author(s)Michael Smith
- PublisherFaber & Faber
- Date of Publication05/09/2013
- SubjectGeneral & Literary Fiction
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintFaber & Faber
- Out-of-print date02/07/2014
- Weight640 g
- Width266 mm
- Height266 mm
- Spine14 mm
- Contained items statementContains 144 Loose-leaf items and CD-Audio and Other audio format
- Edition StatementSpecial ed
Best-selling in Fiction Books
- AU $30.89New
- AU $71.58New
- AU $78.99New
- AU $49.08New
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $24.49Trending at AU $30.89
- AU $12.20Trending at AU $16.32
- AU $74.55Trending at AU $82.83
- AU $19.17Trending at AU $20.80
- AU $10.79Trending at AU $18.62
- AU $22.29Trending at AU $22.84
- AU $20.95Trending at AU $23.47
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.