All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionNEW YORK TIMES BESTSELLER Lisa Damour, Ph.D., director of the internationally rewned Laurel School s Center for Research on Girls, pulls back the curtain on the teenage years and shows why your daughter s erratic and confusing behavior is actually healthy, necessary, and natural. Untangled explains what s going on, prepares parents for what s to come, and lets them kw when it s time to worry. In this sane, highly engaging, and informed guide for parents of daughters, Dr. Damour draws on decades of experience and the latest research to reveal the seven distinct and absolutely rmal developmental transitions that turn girls into grown-ups, including Parting with Childhood, Contending with Adult Authority, Entering the Romantic World, and Caring for Herself. Providing realistic scenarios and welcome advice on how to engage daughters in smart, constructive ways, Untangled gives parents a broad framework for understanding their daughters while addressing their most common questions, including My thirteen-year-old rolls her eyes when I try to talk to her, and only does it more when I get angry with her about it. How should I respond? Do I tell my teen daughter that I m checking her phone? My daughter suffers from test anxiety. What can I do to help her? Where s the line between healthy eating and having an eating disorder? My teenage daughter wants to kw why I m against pot when it s legal in some states. What should I say? My daughter s friend is cutting herself. Do I call the girl s mother to let her kw? Perhaps most important, Untangled helps mothers and fathers understand, connect, and grow with their daughters. When parents kw what makes their daughter tick, they can embrace and enjoy the challenge of raising a healthy, happy young woman. Praise for Untangled Finally, there s some good news for puzzled parents of adolescent girls, and psychologist Lisa Damour is the bearer of that happy news. [Untangled] is the most down-to-earth, readable parenting book I ve come across in a long time. The Washington Post Anna Freud wrote in 1958, There are few situations in life which are more difficult to cope with than an adolescent son or daughter during the attempt to liberate themselves. In the intervening decades, the transition doesn t appear to have gotten any easier which makes Untangled such a welcome new resource. The Boston Globe Damour offers a hopeful, helpful new way for parents to talk about and with teenage girls. . . . Parents will want this book on their shelves, next to established classics of the genre. Publishers Weekly For years people have been asking me for the girl equivalent of Raising Cain, and I haven't kwn exactly what to recommend. Now I do. Michael Thompson, Ph.D., co-author of Raising Cain An essential guide to understanding and supporting girls throughout their development. It s obvious that Dr. Damour gets girls and understands the best way for any adult to help them navigate the common yet difficult challenges so many girls face. Rosalind Wiseman, author of Queen Bees & Wannabes A gem. From the moment I read the last page I ve been recommending it to my clients (including those with sons!) and colleagues, and using it as a refreshing guide in my own work with teenagers and their parents. Wendy Mogel, Ph.D., author of The Blessing of a Skinned KneeFrom the Hardcover edition.
- Author BiographyLisa Damour, Ph.D., graduated with honors from Yale University, worked for the Yale Child Study Center, then received her doctorate in clinical psychology at the University of Michigan. She is the author of numerous academic papers and chapters related to education and child development. Dr. Damour directs Laurel School s Center for Research on Girls, maintains a private psychotherapy practice, consults and speaks internationally, and is a faculty associate of the Schubert Center for Child Studies and a clinical instructor at Case Western Reserve University. She and her husband have two daughters and live in Shaker Heights, Ohio.
- Author(s)Lisa Damour
- PublisherRandom House Audio Publishing Group
- Date of Publication09/02/2016
- SubjectPregnancy & Parenting
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintRandom House Audio Publishing Group
- Weight181 g
- Width130 mm
- Height150 mm
- Spine30 mm
- Read byLisa Damour
- Contained items statement7 Audio CDs
- Format DetailsCD standard audio format
- Running Time510
Best-selling in Audio Books
Save on Audio Books
- AU $33.46Trending at AU $39.19
- AU $31.87Trending at AU $36.49
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $19.58
- AU $14.83Trending at AU $18.20
- AU $28.03Trending at AU $44.96
- AU $28.34Trending at AU $44.33
- AU $28.40Trending at AU $31.51
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.