Save on Fiction Books
- AU $62.20Trending at AU $72.60
- AU $92.81Trending at AU $103.88
- AU $67.16Trending at AU $74.80
- AU $20.99Trending at AU $22.70
- AU $41.18Trending at AU $43.25
- AU $13.21Trending at AU $15.48
- AU $30.11Trending at AU $36.20
About this product
- DescriptionUntil There Was Us by Pamela H Bender When a newborn loses her mother the same day she is given the gift of life, she finds herself shuffled amongst different family members for years on end. Coming of age in the Roaring Twenties and the Depression thirties, she struggles to find connection, adventure, and true happiness while becoming involved in a dark world of speakeasies and deadly bosses. The story of a strong, resilient woman ahead of her time, Pamela Bender's first installment of the Dennison family trilogy is a surprising, heartfelt, and absorbing saga that depicts a young woman's tumultuous journey into adulthood to stunning effect. Mimi Dennison loses her mother the day she is born. Her father unable to care for her or her two year-old sister, she becomes a vagabond ward of the extended family. Separated from her sister and passed from family to family, Mimi develops her own unique blend of survival skills, personality quirks, and thirst for adventure. Once reunited with her sister in Boston, the two search for whatever excitement the world has to offer as they enter the confusing and exhilarating world of young adulthood. Working as a switchboard operator, Mimi segues into the competitive world of 1930's fashion where her sense of adventure and naivete prove to be a dangerous combination. Quickly drawn into a deadly world of Depression-era speakeasies and gangsters, she makes all the wrong decisions and gets in deeper than she ever imagined possible. When she decides to leave that world behind, however, she finds it isn't that easy and it will take the friendship-and love-from a surprising source to help her find the happiness she has been searching for her whole life. Capturing the nuances and emotional landscape of her heroine with extraordinary depth and sincerity, Bender's debut weaves together the dark and light of life as it explores a time and place unique in the collective American psyche. Uninhibited romanticism at its finest, Until There Was Us reminds us all that life is what you make it.
- Author BiographyPamela Bender has always been a writer. Her grant writing, for example, bringing in millions of dollars annually for the School District of the City of York, Pennsylvania, where for twenty-two years her district administrative positions included personnel director, coordinator of federal programs, and equity and harassment officer/mediator. Her award-winning work on local and state boards has led to her testifying three times before the US Congressional Committee on Education. Now semi-retired, she works as a consultant for the Pennsylvania Department of Education monitoring districts, charter schools, and prisons. Her years of diverse experiences now come to life on the pages of the Dennison family saga: book one, Until There Was Us, and book two, Rising Up, are being released simultaneously while book three, Worlds Apart, will be released in September. Pamela currently lives in York with her husband, Joe, and their blended family of six children and thirteen grandchildren.
- Author(s)Pamela H Bender
- Date of Publication22/06/2012
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectRomance & Sagas
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight503 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine20 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.