All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionIn the tradition of Like Water for Chocolate and A Tree Grows in Brooklyn, this exhilarating vel centered around a memorable immigrant family brings to vibrant life the soul and spirit of New York s legendary Lower East Side. Up from Orchard Street... ...where three generations of Roths live together in a crowded tenement flat at number 12. Long-widowed Manya is the family s head and its heart: mother of dapper Jack, mother-in-law of frail and beautiful Lil, and adored bubby of Elka and Willy. She s rewned throughout the teeming neighborhood for her mouthwatering cooking, and every ontime the front room of the flat turns into Manya s private restaurant, where the local merchants come to savor her hearty stews and soups, succulent potato latkes and tzimmes, preserved fruits and glorious pastries. She is just as rewned for her fierce sense of hor, her quick eye for charlatans, and her generosity to those in need. But Manya is soft touch except, perhaps, where her adored granddaughter Elka is concerned. It is skinny, precocious Elka who is her closest companion and confidante and the narrator of this event-packed vel. Through Elka s eyes we come to kw the fascinating characters who come in and out of the Roths lives: relatives, eccentric locals, doctors, busybody neighbors as well as the many men who try fruitlessly to win voluptuous Manya s favors. We live through the bittersweet world of these blunt, earthy, feisty people for whom poverty was endemic, illness common, crises frequent, and zest for living intense. Money may have been short but opinions were t, and their tart tongues and lively humor invest every page. In this riveting story lies the heart of the American immigrant experience: a vel at once wise, funny, poignant, anguishing, exultant and bursting with love. From the Hardcover edition.
- Author BiographyELEANOR WIDMER, who lives in La Jolla, California, is a noted restaurant critic in the San Diego area. She has a Ph.D. in English literature, and has also worked in advertising and taught literature and history. This is her first novel. From the Hardcover edition.
- Author(s)Eleanor Widmer
- PublisherBantam Books
- Date of Publication28/03/2006
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectRomance & Sagas
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintBantam Books
- Weight567 g
- Width157 mm
- Height237 mm
- Spine23 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
Best-selling in Fiction Books
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $16.95Trending at AU $23.18
- AU $47.99Trending at AU $53.24
- AU $29.99Trending at AU $31.13
- AU $47.56Trending at AU $49.64
- AU $26.48Trending at AU $34.75
- AU $27.13Trending at AU $27.89
- AU $11.85Trending at AU $14.33
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.