All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionBased on groundbreaking new scholarship, Upside Down: Arctic Realities brings together ancient and modern works from the Arctic region, including major sites in Russia and Alaska. The featured pieces dramatically illustrate the continuing influence of centuries-old traditions in modern times and include both utilitarian and decorative items such as amulets, funerary offerings, and ceremonial masks from the Alaskan Yup'ik. Essays by leading scholars in the field explore such topics as the relationship between artist and material and between the aesthetics of native Arctic cultures and their environments.
- Author BiographyEdmund Carpenter is a noted anthropologist and cinematographer. Anne Bahnson is currently Director of the Sisimiut Museum in Sisimiut, Greenland, and formerly Curator of the Ethnographic Collection at the National Museum of Denmark. Mikhail Bronshtein and Kirill Dneprovsky are curators at the State Museum for Oriental Art in Moscow. Ann Fienup-Riordan is a cultural anthropologist and independent scholar. Robert Mc Ghee is recently retired Curator of Western Arctic Archaeology at the Canadian Museum of Civilization. Patricia Sutherland is Curator of Eastern Arctic Archaeology at the Canadian Museum of Civilization.
- PublisherYale University Press
- Date of Publication05/04/2011
- SubjectFine Arts / Art History
- Series TitleMenil Collection
- Place of PublicationNew Haven
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintYale University Press
- Content Note62 black-&-white illustrations + 132 colour images
- Weight1520 g
- Width254 mm
- Height235 mm
- Spine23 mm
- Edited byEdmund Carpenter
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $79.65Trending at AU $96.35
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $74.37
- AU $35.42Trending at AU $40.71
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $79.35
- AU $18.96Trending at AU $24.44
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $49.03
- AU $16.98Trending at AU $18.30
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.