Urban Forms: The Death and Life of the Urban Block by Jean Charles Depaule, Philippe Panerai, Jean Castex, Ivor Samuels (Paperback, 2004)
Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $65.34Free postage
- Brand new condition
- Sold by simplybestprices-10to20dayshipping
- See details for delivery est.
- AU $74.95+ AU $7.95 postage
- Good condition
- Sold by ausreseller
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis popular and influential work, translated here into English for the first time, argues that modern urbanism has upset the morphology of cities, abolished their streets and isolated their buildings. In tracing the stages of this transformation, this book presents the view that the urban tissue, the intermediate scale between the architecture of buildings and the diagrammatic layouts of town planning, is the essential framework for everyday life. Only by investigating the urban tissue will it be possible to understand the complex relationships between plot and built form, between streets and buildings and between these forms and design practices. The chosen trail of the first French edition - Paris, London, Amsterdam, Frankfurt - is one of continuously evolving modernity. It outlines a history, which, in one century (1860-1960), completely changed the aspect of our towns and cities and transformed our way of life. The shock has been such that we are still looking for answers, still attempting to find urban forms that can accommodate present day ways of life and at the same time maintain the qualities of the traditional town. This English edition brings the story forward to the present day and considers the impact of the New Urbanism in the United States, which, over the last decade, has sought to re-establish former relationships within the urban tissue.
- Author BiographyAn architect planner and Honorary Senior Research Fellow of the Urban Morphology Research Group, Birmingham University and consultant to the UK Civic Trust Regeneration Unit. Architect and professor at the School of Architecture of Paris-Villemin, and the DEA Schools of Architecture- French Institute of Urbanism. Architect and Doctor of urbanism, professor at the School of Architecture of Versailles and the DEA Schools of Architecture- French Institute of Urbanism. Doctor of Urban Sociology and Director of research at the CNRS Maison Mediterranee of Human Sciences, Aix- en- Provence.
- Author(s)Ivor Samuels,Jean Castex,Jean Charles Depaule,Philippe Panerai
- PublisherTaylor & Francis Ltd
- Date of Publication29/03/2004
- SubjectGeography & Earth Science: Textbooks & Study Guides
- Place of PublicationOxford
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintArchitectural Press
- Content Note1, black & white illustrations
- Weight362 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine12 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
- AU $61.46New
- AU $7.03New
- AU $20.24New
- AU $33.17New
- AU $30.27New
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $39.16Trending at AU $43.28
- AU $29.54Trending at AU $30.27
- AU $61.61Trending at AU $62.90
- AU $49.24Trending at AU $52.58
- AU $26.82Trending at AU $30.72
- AU $28.36Trending at AU $30.17
- AU $25.42Trending at AU $25.61
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.