All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionTeachers, media specialists, parents, and other adults who work with adolescents must recognize that our society influences who teenagers are and how they develop as language users. This unique resource provides guidance to these professionals by pairing literacy specialists with counselors who introduce information about social issues important to today's adolescents. These experts then explore literature in which issues such as: body image, sexuality, and leaving home are addressed in ways likely to interest teens. By examining fictional characters, these experts provide guidance to those working with teenagers, so they can encourage adolescents to deal with the conflicts and issues imposed upon them by our society while improving their reading and writing skills. Eight important social issues are explored each in a separate chapter. While providing in-depth exploration of fictional characters grappling with these societal issues, each chapter also provides a question and answer section in which specialists answer questions many adults have raised regarding social influences on teenagers. Readers are given insight into how they can help teenagers with similar problems, and extensive antated bibliographies recommend appropriate books to get teenagers reading and addressing these problems. This collaboration across academic specialties provides an invative approach to attaining the goal of helping adults and adolescents in gaining a better understanding of each other.
- Author BiographyPAMELA S. CARROLL is Associate Professor and Coordinator of English Education at Florida State University. She is the editor of The ALAN Review and co-editor of Books and Beyond: Thematic Approaches for Teaching Literature in High School (1998).
- Author(s)Pamela Sissi Carroll
- Date of Publication30/11/1999
- SubjectSchool Textbooks & Study Guides: Literature, Arts & Humanities
- Series TitleThe Greenwood Press Using Literature to Help Troubled Teenagers Series
- Place of PublicationWestport
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintGreenwood Press
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight573 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine19 mm
- Format DetailsLaminated cover
- Edition Statementannotated edition
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.