All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionUsing Non-Textual Sources provides history students with the theoretical background and skills to interpret n-textual sources. It introduces the full range of n-textual sources used by historians and offers practical guidance on how to interpret them and incorporate them into essays and dissertations. In addition to this, the book posits a theoretical framework that justifies the use of these items as historical sources and explains how they can be used to further understand the past. There is coverage of the creation, production and distribution of n-textual sources; the acquisition of skills to 'read' these sources analytically; and the meaning, significance and reliability of these forms of evidence. Using Non-Textual Sources includes a section on interdisciplinary n-textual source work, outlining what historians borrow from disciplines such as art history, archaeology, geography and media studies, as well as a discussion of how to locate these resources online and elsewhere in order to use them in essays and dissertations. Case studies, such as the Tudor religious propaganda painting Edward VI and the Pope, the 1954 John Ford Western The Searchers and the Hereford Mappa Mundi, are employed throughout to illustrate the functions of main source types. Photographs, cartoons, maps, artwork, audio clips, film, places and artifacts are all explored in a text that provides students with a comprehensive, cohesive and practical guide to using n-textual sources.
- Author BiographyCatherine Armstrong is Lecturer in American History at Loughborough University, UK. She is the author of Writing North America in the Seventeenth Century (2007) and, along with Laura M. Chmielewski, The Atlantic Experience: People, Places, Ideas (2013).
- Author(s)Catherine Armstrong
- PublisherBloomsbury Publishing PLC
- Date of Publication17/12/2015
- SubjectHistory: Textbooks & Study Guides
- Series TitleBloomsbury Research Skills for History
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintBloomsbury Academic
- Content Note20 bw illus
- Weight283 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine13 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $79.64Trending at AU $111.11
- AU $35.05Trending at AU $40.71
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $78.04
- AU $18.76Trending at AU $24.44
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $49.03
- AU $16.98Trending at AU $18.30
- AU $51.96Trending at AU $53.08
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.