All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis book covers applied statistics for the social sciences with upper-level undergraduate students in mind. The chapters are based on lecture tes from an introductory statistics course the author has taught for a number of years. The book integrates statistics into the research process, with early chapters covering basic philosophical issues underpinning the process of scientific research. These include the concepts of deductive reasoning and the falsifiability of hypotheses, the development of a research question and hypotheses, and the process of data collection and measurement. Probability theory is then covered extensively with a focus on its role in laying the foundation for statistical reasoning and inference. After illustrating the Central Limit Theorem, later chapters address the key, basic statistical methods used in social science research, including various z and t tests and confidence intervals, nparametric chi square tests, one-way analysis of variance, correlation, simple regression, and multiple regression, with a discussion of the key issues involved in thinking about causal processes. Concepts and topics are illustrated using both real and simulated data. The penultimate chapter presents rules and suggestions for the successful presentation of statistics in tabular and graphic formats, and the final chapter offers suggestions for subsequent reading and study.
- Author BiographyScott M. Lynch is a professor in the Department of Sociology and Office of Population Research at Princeton University. His substantive research interests are in changes in racial and socioeconomic inequalities in health and mortality across age and time, as well as in understanding the sources of regional disparities in health in the U.S. His methodological interests are in the application of Bayesian statistics and estimation methods to problems that cannot be easily addressed with classical statistical methods in sociology and demography.
- Author(s)Scott M. Lynch
- PublisherSpringer-Verlag New York Inc.
- Date of Publication23/08/2016
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintSpringer-Verlag New York Inc.
- Content Note44 black & white illustrations, 5 black & white tables, biography
- Weight397 g
- Width155 mm
- Height235 mm
- Spine14 mm
- Edition StatementSoftcover reprint of the original 1st ed. 2013
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $78.84Trending at AU $111.00
- AU $35.04Trending at AU $40.67
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $77.96
- AU $18.76Trending at AU $24.41
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $48.98
- AU $16.98Trending at AU $18.29
- AU $51.96Trending at AU $53.03
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.