All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionAnthony Quinton's concise study of utilitarianism, which has been long been unavailable, is generally ackwledged as the best introduction to the subject. This edition includes a new preface surveying recent developments.The book begins with a definition of utilitarianism, and goes on to consider hedonism as a criterion of value and theory of motivation. Early hedonism is surveyed, followed by the emergence of utilitarianism proper with Hume, Tucker and Paley. The contributions of Bentham, James Mill and J.S. Mill are analyzed, with particular attention to J.S. Mill's arguments concerning the sanction of morality, the proof of the principle of utility and the question of justice and utility. The criticisms of Grote, Sidgwick, Moore and later writers are also appraised.
- Author(s)Anthony Quinton
- PublisherOpen Court Publishing Co ,U.S.
- Date of Publication23/09/2003
- SubjectHistory of Ideas & Popular Philosophy
- Place of PublicationChicago, IL
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintOpen Court Publishing Co ,U.S.
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight177 g
- Width140 mm
- Height216 mm
- Spine7 mm
- Edition Statement2nd edition
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $57.99Trending at AU $62.11
- AU $34.68Trending at AU $36.61
- AU $73.14Trending at AU $74.82
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $23.76
- AU $37.59Trending at AU $40.09
- AU $34.37Trending at AU $36.09
- AU $28.52Trending at AU $29.80
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.