All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionUtilitarianism is a classic work of ethical theory, arguably the most persuasive and comprehensible presentation of this widely infl uential position. Mill argues that it is pleasure and pain that ought to guide our decision-making-and t the pleasure and pain of any one person or group, but the summative experience of all who are affected by our actions. While he didn't invent utilitarianism, Mill offered its clearest expression and strongest defense, and expanded the theory to account for the variety in quality that we find among specifi c pleasures and pains. Today, Mill's version of the Greatest Happiness Principle is a standard premise in many moral arguments within the academy and in practical ethical and political deliberation. The complete text of the * edition of Utilitarianism is presented here, with footte antations added to clarify unfamiliar references and termilogy. A detailed introduction by the editor is divided into brief digestible parts discussing the context of the text and offering guidelines on how to read it accurately and critically. This edition has its origin in the acclaimed Broadview Anthology of Social and Political Thought and adheres to the anthology's format and high standard of accuracy and accessibility.
- Author BiographyJohn Stuart Mill (1806 - 1873) was a prominent British philosopher who made valuable contributions to ethical theory, political thought, and many other areas of philosophy. Andrew Bailey is Associate Professor of Philosophy at the University of Guelph, Canada.
- Author(s)John Stuart Mill
- PublisherBroadview Press Ltd
- Date of Publication30/08/2016
- Series TitleBroadview Anthology of Social and Political Thought
- Place of PublicationPeterborough
- Country of PublicationCanada
- ImprintBroadview Press Ltd
- Weight272 g
- Width140 mm
- Height216 mm
- Spine13 mm
- Edited byAndrew Bailey
Best-selling in Textbooks
Management: the Essentials by Mary Coulter, Megan Woods, Stephen Robbins, David De Cenzo (Paperback, 2015)
- AU $111.65New
- AU $93.38Used
- AU $93.38New
- AU $101.47New
- AU $80.95New
Save on Textbooks
- AU $69.90Trending at AU $82.00
- AU $87.99Trending at AU $90.54
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $78.44
- AU $39.02Trending at AU $50.24
- AU $69.89Trending at AU $74.12
- AU $104.88Trending at AU $108.80
- AU $21.33Trending at AU $23.60
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.