All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe magnitude of the threat to the human genetic material posed by environmental agents has t as yet been fully determined. Never- theless, the potential hazards of many chemicals have been identi- fied by studies on lower organisms. However, too little is kwn regarding the comparability or lack of it between the metabolic pathways available in such organisms and those in man. Although at present there is great public concern for what is considered by some as the excessive use of laboratory animals in toxicological testing, it seems clear that the usage of mammalian systems may be deemed necessary. It has been proposed that cell culture systems might suffice to meet this need, however, such approaches cant match the complexity of physiological occurances that are present in the intact animal. For studies of genetic effects, some n-invasive human test systems are presently available. These do t, however, meet the re- quirements for extensive laboratory studies. In order to assess the risks to humans of environmental factors such laboratory investiga- tions are essential. Therefore, for the forseeable future reliance on experiments using laboratory animals will be necessary. This Volume, which contains the proceedings of a workshop which was held at the National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences, March 29-31, 1982, explores the existing methodologies and their utility for risk estimations. It covers the most well developed human systems, as well as the most widely used animal tests.
- Author(s)F.J. De Serres
- PublisherSpringer-Verlag New York Inc.
- Date of Publication13/10/2011
- Series TitleEnvironmental Science Research
- Series Part/Volume Number28
- Place of PublicationNew York, NY
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintSpringer-Verlag New York Inc.
- Content Notebiography
- Weight607 g
- Width170 mm
- Height244 mm
- Spine19 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $38.44Trending at AU $43.86
- AU $35.05Trending at AU $36.68
- AU $27.64Trending at AU $34.95
- AU $22.22Trending at AU $31.05
- AU $29.06Trending at AU $39.11
- AU $20.74Trending at AU $24.30
- AU $28.63Trending at AU $30.35
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.