Best-selling in Audio Books
Save on Audio Books
- AU $21.43Trending at AU $27.06
- AU $33.01Trending at AU $39.52
- AU $11.42Trending at AU $14.09
- AU $14.83Trending at AU $18.35
- AU $18.79Trending at AU $25.47
- AU $28.03Trending at AU $45.33
- AU $28.03Trending at AU $36.20
About this product
- DescriptionJane Whitefield is a Native American guide who leads solitary outcasts through hostile territory to escape the vengeance of their enemies. But the shaded forest paths her Seneca ancestors might have followed on such missions have all been converted to superhighways, and w the safest way stations are crowded urban buildings that offer the camouflage of anymity. Still, the supply of runaways-and the need for a woman who will take great risks to save them-have never been greater.Jane kws all the tricks; in fact, she has invented several of them herself in the ten years she has been teaching fugitives to live with new identities. Many of her clients have been incent people whom the institutions of society have been too slow and cumbersome to protect, but an increasing number have been like the gambler Harry Kemple: people who aren't especially admirable but who aren't bad eugh to deserve to die prematurely.Jane opens her door to find in her house an uninvited visitor named John Felker, the latest to run to her for sanctuary. Felker is t like the others Jane has helped, and everything about him is disquieting. He doesn't even kw whom he is running from-only that whoever is framing him as an embezzler has already circulated an open contract in the prison system for his death. Maybe his problems began years ago, when he was a policeman; a good cop makes an enemy with each arrest. But perhaps he is still a policeman and has invented precisely the right story to entrap Jane. Or perhaps he is something even worse.The unexpected guest draws this exceptional woman into an adventure of mystery, love and sacrifice, betrayal and vengeance, and propels her on a pursuit that takes her from the night streets of Los Angeles and Vancouver to the dark, unexplored regions of her own mind. There is way for Jane Whitefield to survive this particular vanishing act except to uncover the hidden meanings of violent events that have kept police forces and criminal syndicates equally mystified for years. She must see beyond the cement and steel of the cities and learn to see as her Indian ancestors did.Vanishing Act is Edgar Award winner Thomas Perry at the top of his form, pitting a heroine like other against a cunning, implacable enemy in a world where mercy and brutality exist in equal measure and the only way to survive is by one's wits.
- Author BiographyThomas Perry is the author of many critically acclaimed novels, including the Edgar Award-winning The Butcher's Boy and its sequel, Sleeping Dogs; the five-volume Jane Whitefield series (Vanishing Act was chosen as one of the 100 Favorite Mysteries of the Century by the Independent Mystery Booksellers Association); and the national bestsellers Death Benefits and Pursuit. Perry lives in Southern California with his wife and two daughters. Joyce Bean is an accomplished audiobook narrator and director. In addition to being an AudioFile Earphones Award winner, she has been nominated multiple times for a prestigious Audie Award. Equally adept at narrating fiction and nonfiction, her titles include Blue Diary by Alice Hoffman, Blue Smoke by Nora Roberts, and several Jayne Ann Krentz novels. Joyce lives in West Michigan.
- Author(s)Thomas Perry
- PublisherTantor Media, Inc
- Date of Publication30/03/2009
- SubjectCrime, Thriller & Adventure
- Series TitleJane Whitefield
- Series Part/Volume NumberNo. 1
- Place of PublicationOld Saybrook, CT
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintTantor Media, Inc
- Out-of-print date04/02/2017
- Weight162 g
- Width172 mm
- Height165 mm
- Spine24 mm
- Narrator(s)Joyce Bean
- Format DetailsCD standard audio format
- Running Time630
- Edition StatementLibrary ed
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.