All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis book brings together an international group of researchers reporting on their work about play and early childhood education across 13 countries - Norway, Sweden, Denmark, England, Germany, Hong Kong, United States of America, India, The Maldives, Sri Lanka, Singapore, China and Australia. It contributes to growing international conversations about play and the role of play in early childhood education.
Each of the chapters in this anthology reflects different directions in research as well as a range of approaches to reconceptualising play. Each researcher questions assumptions underpinning young children's play and early childhood education and explores the implications of these questions for further research, practice and policy. Chapters report a wide range of invative and transformative research, focusing on areas such as the play of infants and toddlers, the role of values in play, the complexity of connections between play and learning, motivation, the role and understandings of early childhood educators in promoting children's play, risky play and the impact of Westernised approaches to play in different contexts.
This book argues for the importance of children's play at a time when there is a great deal of pressure to increase the academic focus of early education and to eliminate play that could be deemed risky. Several authors te moves towards pedagogies of play and explore the potential links between play and learning in early education settings. The research reported in this book is a timely reminder of the value of play, for and of itself, as well as the learning potential of play. It provides a pathway into the debates about the role and value of play in early years' education for students, researchers and policy-makers.
- Author BiographyOle Fredrik Lillemyr, Queen Maud University College, USA
Sue Dockett, Charles Sturt University, USA
Bob Perry, Charles Sturt University, USA
- PublisherInformation Age Publishing
- Date of Publication05/09/2013
- SubjectEducation & Teaching
- Place of PublicationGreenwich
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintInformation Age Publishing
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight348 g
- Width155 mm
- Height235 mm
- Spine13 mm
- Edited byBob Perry,Ole Fredrik Lillemyr,Sue Dockett
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
- AU $62.02New
- AU $5.82New
- AU $22.48New
- AU $33.47New
- AU $30.62New
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $59.99Trending at AU $62.02
- AU $40.94Trending at AU $51.88
- AU $32.35Trending at AU $51.33
- AU $29.58Trending at AU $30.62
- AU $49.30Trending at AU $53.06
- AU $26.83Trending at AU $32.55
- AU $39.26Trending at AU $43.67
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.