All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $27.54Trending at AU $44.05
- AU $80.99Trending at AU $88.14
- AU $71.88Trending at AU $73.73
- AU $82.90Trending at AU $85.64
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $79.61
- AU $34.73Trending at AU $42.75
- AU $21.22Trending at AU $25.56
About this product
- DescriptionVaudeville Humor: The Collected Jokes, Routines, and Skits of Ed Lowry contains vaudeville jokes, skits, and routines from the first three decades of the twentieth century originally compiled by comedian Ed Lowry (1896-1983). Although occasionally found in bits and pieces in anthologies and in some period dramatic comedies, vaudeville humor has never before been available in one collection - performers rarely if ever kept a record of their jokes and routines. Fortunately, Ed Lowry was an inveterate collector. He kept copious tebooks of jokes and routines that he t only commissioned but also stole from other comics, clipped from newspapers, and copied from w defunct popular magazines of the day. Editor Paul M. Levitt has reorganized the material into categories that preserve some of the flavor of Lowry's scrapbooks yet provide for finer distinctions. Organized by subject matter and cataloged by genre, dialects, and wordplay, this exhaustive catalog of humor features over one thousand jokes and skits with topics that range from city slickers and country hicks through midgets and old maids to Swedes and tattoos. The appendix, Ed Lowry Laffter, reproduces a privately published collection that is w a rare collector's item. Although some of the jokes can undoubtedly be found in other places, explains Levitt in his introduction, I kw of source as rich as this one for the twenties and thirties, a period so abundant in humor that for years afterward it fueled radio, cinema, and television.
- Author BiographyPaul M. Levitt is a professor of English at the University of Colorado at Boulder, where he teaches modern drama and theatre history. Levitt has also written books and articles on theatre, radio plays for the BBC, trade books on medicine, tales for children, and a novel, Chin Music. He is the editor of Joe Frisco: Comic, Jazz Dancer, and Railbird by Ed Lowry and Charlie Foy (see page 25).
- Author(s)Ed Lowry
- PublisherSouthern Illinois University Press
- Date of Publication30/11/2002
- SubjectHumour: Collections & General
- Place of PublicationCarbondale
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintSouthern Illinois University Press
- Weight689 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine32 mm
- Volume editorPaul M. Levitt
- Introduction byPaul M. Levitt
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.