All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $9.86Trending at AU $16.83
- AU $11.51Trending at AU $18.78
- AU $24.83Trending at AU $25.22
- AU $67.69Trending at AU $74.92
- AU $31.51Trending at AU $36.87
- AU $44.28Trending at AU $46.99
- AU $25.61Trending at AU $28.40
About this product
- DescriptionFeared, revered, and often misunderstood, vemous snakes have been a source of legend and nightmare since time immemorial. In this comprehensive volume, author Mark O'Shea has combined expertly written, in-depth descriptions of the world's common and exotic vemous snakes, highlighted by previously unpublished gripping accounts of his adventures with snakes, including personal observations and several serious snakebite episodes. The book begins with a description of the anatomies of vemous snakes, along with their diversity and distribution. Also included is a unique in-depth look at the various types of snake vem and the ways that each type attacks the body. A section on anti-vem, including thoughts on the looming anti-vem crisis, is also presented. Information on the adaptations of ocean-dwelling snakes and issues of snake conservation as well as an examination of vemous lizards follow. From bamboo pitvipers to deep-diving seasnakes, and from adders and asps to terciopelos and the massasaugas, this book takes an original approach to examining these enthralling creatures. Rather than the typical taxomic categorization, the snakes are grouped by geographic location: the Americas, Africa, Eurasia, Tropical Asia, Australasia, and the Oceans. Each section is illustrated with stunning and rare pictures, many of which were taken by the author himself. Suitable for professional snake handlers and armchair herpetologists alike, this extremely accessible book is an enthusiastic celebration of the diversity and beauty of vemous snakes worldwide. This title explores the secret world of vemous snakes, revealing their habitats, characteristics, and hunting and feeding behaviors. It contains thrilling details of O'Shea's own encounters with snakes. It provides detailed information on vemous snake diversity, vem types, and conservation. It includes a world map illustrating vemous snake distribution and detailed accounts of more than 170 species. It features over 150 full-color photographs, many of them of extremely rare species.
- Author BiographyMark O'Shea, curator of reptiles at West Midland Safari Park (U.K.), has participated in more than sixty fieldwork and filming exhibitions, traveling to every continent except Antarctica.
- Author(s)Mark O'Shea
- PublisherPrinceton University Press
- Date of Publication04/04/2011
- SubjectNatural History: Animal & Wildlife
- Place of PublicationNew Jersey
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintPrinceton University Press
- Content Note150 color illus.
- Weight599 g
- Width190 mm
- Height241 mm
- Spine13 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.