All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionA flash blinds me...We are lost in a chaos of flying mud...Smoke, filth,confusion, racket! I spit and splutter and swear...Oh Christ! I think I'm flamin' well dead. This is the compelling story of Lieutenant Joseph Darkie Maxwell DCM, MC and Bar, VC - the second highest decorated Australian soldier of the First World War.Meticulously researched by historian John Ramsland, Maxwell's colourful life is traced from his childhood on the Hunter coalfields until his death at age 71 in a soldier's settlement home in Matraville Sydney.Maxwell was a vivid storyteller who wrote Hells Bells and Mademoiselles, telling of his experiences in the war. In telling Maxwell's story, Ramsland has uncovered many forgotten documents to piece together an extraordinary life of an extraordinary man.
- Author BiographyJohn Ramsland is an Emeritus Professor of History and has researched and written many books including From Antarctica to the Gold Rushes and Remembering Aboriginal Heroes. He lives in Newcastle, NSW.
- Author(s)John Ramsland
- PublisherBrolga Publishing Pty Ltd
- Date of Publication01/01/2013
- SubjectBiography: Historical, Political & Military
- Place of PublicationRingwood, VIC
- Country of PublicationAustralia
- ImprintBrolga Publishing Pty Ltd
- Content Note96 b&w photos, maps and line drawings
- Weight374 g
- Width135 mm
- Height210 mm
- Spine17 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $34.69Trending at AU $36.40
- AU $27.64Trending at AU $35.73
- AU $31.89Trending at AU $40.27
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $24.08
- AU $37.60Trending at AU $39.86
- AU $34.16Trending at AU $34.94
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $26.86
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.