All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionVErBAl ReAcTiONS are a new form of word scrambles with a chemical flavor. You don't need to kw any science to be able to solve VErBAl ReAcTiONS puzzles, but the puzzles bear a resemblance to chemical reactions.EXAMPLE: Es + 2 S + P + Si + 2 O + N __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ .This VErBAl ReAcTiON is a word scramble consisting of one Es, two S's, one P, one Si, two O's, and one N. That is, the word scramble contains the elements Es, S, S, P, Si, O, O, and N. Unscramble these elements to form an 8-symbol word (that's why there are 8 blanks in the puzzle).ANSWER: For this puzzle, the answer is P O S S Es Si O N (possession).These VErBAl ReAcTiONS resemble chemical reactions in two ways. First, the scrambled elements appear added together on the left of the reaction with coefficients (like the number 2 in the puzzle above) telling you how many of each element the solution contains, and you fill in the result of the VErBAl ReAcTiON by rearranging the elements and writing them on the blanks on the right side of the reaction. Secondly, all of the solutions are chemical words. A chemical word is a word that can be made using symbols from the periodic table. For example, the chemical word POSSEsSiON is made using the symbols for phosphorus (P), oxygen (O), sulfur (S), Einsteinium (Es), silicon (Si), and nitrogen (N).You don't need to be familiar with the periodic table to solve these problems; r do you need to kw any chemistry. You just need to be able to count and unscramble elements to make words.This 'Medium' volume consists of words with 6 symbols, which involves familiarity with common 6 to 12 letter words.A unique feature of this book is that there is a Hints section at the back separate from the Answers section, for puzzlers who may be stuck and want to check just the first letter of the solution.MORE EXAMPLES: (1) S + Ni + Ge + U __ __ __ __ .(2) 2 C + N + 2 I + P __ __ __ __ __ __ .(3) Ti + C + Cr + P + Y __ __ __ __ __ .(4) 2 C + U + 2 S + Es __ __ __ __ __ __ .You can find the answers below.Note that this medium volume consists of chemical words with 6 symbols. There are also easy and hard puzzles (available in separate volumes), which consist of shorter and longer chemical words.ANSWERS: (1) GeNiUS (2) PICNIC (3) CrYPTiC (4) SUCCEsS.
- Author BiographyChris McMullen and Carolyn Kivett are a son-and-mother combination who teamed up to write a variety of word puzzle books and, recently, some children's books, such as math flash cards for the Kindle. CHRIS MCMULLEN holds a Ph.D. in theoretical high-energy physics (aka particle physics) from Oklahoma State University. He teaches physics at Northwestern State University of Louisiana. In addition to solving verbal and math puzzles, he enjoys playing chess and golf and writing books in his spare time. His mother, CAROLYN KIVETT, loves solving verbal puzzles, such as anagrams and crossword puzzles. She runs a small business in southern California where she manufactures covers for outdoor entertainment centers and golf cart enclosures from scratch. She enjoys the challenge of sewing materials into new geometric shapes, which is a three-dimensional visual puzzle. She loves to collect teddy bears and sunflowers, and also enjoys playing golf.
- Author(s)Carolyn Kivett,Chris McMullen
- Date of Publication09/12/2011
- FormatPaperback / softback
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight286 g
- Width203 mm
- Height254 mm
- Spine7 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $35.02Trending at AU $36.60
- AU $27.64Trending at AU $35.92
- AU $31.89Trending at AU $40.49
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $24.21
- AU $37.60Trending at AU $40.07
- AU $34.16Trending at AU $35.13
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $27.01
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.