All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $80.99Trending at AU $88.17
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $77.76
- AU $71.88Trending at AU $73.75
- AU $82.89Trending at AU $85.67
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $79.64
- AU $34.72Trending at AU $42.76
- AU $21.22Trending at AU $25.57
About this product
- DescriptionIn this third edition of the classic Verdi, rewned authority Julian Budden offers a comprehensive overview of Verdi the man and the artist, tracing his ascent from humble beginnings to the status of a cultural patriarch of the new Italy, whose cause he had done much to promote, and demonstrating the gradual enlargement over the years of his artistic vision. This concise study is an accessible, insightful, and engaging summation of Verdi scholarship, acquainting the n-specialist with the personal details Verdi's life, with the operatic world in which he worked, and with his political ideas, his intellectual vision, and his powerful means of communicating them through his music. In his survey of the music itself, Budden emphasizes the unique character of each work as well as the developing sophistication of Verdi's style. He covers all of the operas, the late religious works, the songs, and the string quartet. A glossary explains even the most obscure operatic terms current in Verdi's time.
- Author BiographyJulian Budden (1924-2007) served as the Chief Producer for Opera at BBC Radio as the President of the Centro Studi Giacomo Puccini, Lucca, Italy. In addition to his Master Musicians volume on Verdi, he is also the author of the Master Musicians biography of Puccini (OUP, 2002) as well as the three-volume The Operas of Verdi (OUP, 1978-1981, revised edition 1992).
- Author(s)Julian Budden
- PublisherOxford University Press Inc
- Date of Publication11/02/2016
- SubjectBiography: The Arts
- Series TitleMaster Musicians Series
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintOxford University Press Inc
- Content Note16 halftones, 99 music examples
- Weight638 g
- Width158 mm
- Height235 mm
- Spine26 mm
- Edition Statement3rd Revised edition
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.