All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $32.01Trending at AU $36.67
- AU $47.85Trending at AU $48.79
- AU $32.52Trending at AU $40.62
- AU $30.43Trending at AU $31.22
- AU $27.74Trending at AU $29.88
- AU $24.19Trending at AU $30.05
- AU $26.56Trending at AU $29.34
About this product
- DescriptionIf there would be God ~ then what a staff-captain am I? ~ said one of the characters in a vel by Dostoevskii. In a similar way we can exclaim: If there would be nlinearity ~ than what physics would that be'? . Really, the most interesting and exciting effects are described by n- linear equations, and vanish in the linear approximation. For example, the general theory of relativity by A.Einstein comes to mind first - one of the most beautiful physical theories, which is in fact essentially nlinear. Next, the phase transitions crystal ~ liquid and liquid ~ gas are due to the anhar- monicity of inter-particle interactions, to dissociation and infinite motion. Similarly, transitions into the superconducting state or the superftuid would be impossible with purely harmonic interaction potentials. Ather bril- liant achievement in nlinear physics was the construction of a laser and the subsequent development of nlinear optics. The latter describes the in- teraction of the matter with light of super-high intensity, when multi-quanta intra-molecular transitions become essential. Last, we should te here the very beautiful mathematical theory ~ the theory of catastrophes. Its subject is the study of invariant general properties of multi-dimensional surfaces in the vicinity of bifurcation points with respect to continuous transformations.
- Author(s)Alexandr A. Ovchinnikov,K. A. Pronin,Nikolai S. Erikhman
- PublisherSpringer-Verlag New York Inc.
- Date of Publication25/09/2012
- SubjectEnergy Technology & Electrical Engineering
- Place of PublicationNew York, NY
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintSpringer-Verlag New York Inc.
- Content Notebiography
- Weight569 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine19 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
- Edition StatementSoftcover reprint of the original 1st ed. 2001
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.