All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionIf there would be God ~ then what a staff-captain am I? ~ said one of the characters in a vel by Dostoevskii. In a similar way we can exclaim: If there would be nlinearity ~ than what physics would that be'? . Really, the most interesting and exciting effects are described by n- linear equations, and vanish in the linear approximation. For example, the general theory of relativity by A.Einstein comes to mind first - one of the most beautiful physical theories, which is in fact essentially nlinear. Next, the phase transitions crystal ~ liquid and liquid ~ gas are due to the anhar- monicity of inter-particle interactions, to dissociation and infinite motion. Similarly, transitions into the superconducting state or the superftuid would be impossible with purely harmonic interaction potentials. Ather bril- liant achievement in nlinear physics was the construction of a laser and the subsequent development of nlinear optics. The latter describes the in- teraction of the matter with light of super-high intensity, when multi-quanta intra-molecular transitions become essential. Last, we should te here the very beautiful mathematical theory ~ the theory of catastrophes. Its subject is the study of invariant general properties of multi-dimensional surfaces in the vicinity of bifurcation points with respect to continuous transformations.
- Author(s)Alexandr A. Ovchinnikov,K. A. Pronin,Nikolai S. Erikhman
- PublisherSpringer Science+Business Media
- Date of Publication30/11/2001
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintKluwer Academic/Plenum Publishers
- Content Notebiography
- Weight1540 g
- Width155 mm
- Height235 mm
- Spine22 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $74.51
- AU $35.82Trending at AU $40.79
- AU $18.96Trending at AU $23.98
- AU $17.16Trending at AU $18.34
- AU $57.88Trending at AU $63.53
- AU $19.95Trending at AU $20.35
- AU $16.96Trending at AU $23.43
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.