All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis important study focuses on the vels of Victor Hugo, one of the most well-kwn French authors of the nineteenth century. Through close readings of his most celebrated narratives, Les Miserables and Notre Dame de Paris; his juvenelia, Han d'Islande, Bug-Jargal, and Le Dernier jour d'un condamne; and his later fiction, Les Travailleurs de la mer, L'Homme qui rit, and Quatrevingt-treize, the author breaks new ground in her elaboration of the problem of the grotesque esthetic between Hugo's vels and his romantic manifesto of 1827, the Preface de Cromwell, in which he argues for inclusion of the grotesque as an esthetic part of the new romantic drama. This modern esthetic of contrast thus becomes the point of departure from which his narrative springs. It is the cornerstone of the differentiation between romantic and classical literature. Hugo takes as his starting point the breakdown of all esthetic codes and creates a new framework for reading literature, that is, a romanticism of overcodified deformations.
- Author BiographyThe Author: Karen Master-Wicks received her Ph.D. in French Literature from New York University. She is Director of Curriculum and Instructional Development at the College Board. Her research interests include multimedia language methodologies and interdisciplinary approaches to nineteenth-century French literature. She has previously published in scholarly journals.
- Author(s)Karen Masters-Wicks
- PublisherPeter Lang Publishing Inc
- Date of Publication01/10/1994
- SubjectEncyclopedias & General Reference
- Series TitleCurrents in Comparative Romance Languages & Literatures
- Series Part/Volume Number12
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- First Published1994
- ImprintPeter Lang Publishing Inc
- Weight530 g
Best-selling in Textbooks
- AU $203.69New
Marketing Management: an Asian Perspective by Swee Hoon Ang, Kevin Lane Keller, Siew-Meng Leong, Chin Tiong Tan, Philip Kotler (Paperback, 2013)
- AU $74.22New
- AU $61.33Used
- AU $93.50New
- AU $101.60New
- AU $70.98New
Save on Textbooks
- AU $69.90Trending at AU $82.10
- AU $22.41Trending at AU $23.51
- AU $114.99Trending at AU $120.22
- AU $87.99Trending at AU $90.65
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $78.54
- AU $39.20Trending at AU $50.30
- AU $69.89Trending at AU $74.22
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.