All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionIn Victorian Reformations: Historical Fiction and Religious Controversy, 1820-1900, Miriam Elizabeth Burstein analyses the ways in which Christian velists across the deminational spectrum laid claim to popular genres-most importantly, the religious historical vel-to narrate the aftershocks of 1829, the year of Catholic Emancipation. Both Protestant and Catholic popular velists fought over the ramifications of nineteenth-century Catholic toleration for the legacy of the Reformation. But despite the vast textual range of this genre, it remains virtually unkwn in literary studies. Victorian Reformations is the first book to analyse how high theological and historical debates over the Reformation's significance were popularised through the increasingly profitable venue of Victorian religious fiction. By putting religious apologists and controversialists at centre stage, Burstein insists that such fiction-frequently dismissed as overly simplistic or didactic-is essential for our understanding of Victorian popular theology, history, and historical vels.
Burstein reads lost but once exceptionally popular religious vels-for example, by Elizabeth Rundle Charles, Lady Georgiana Fullerton, and Emily Sarah Holt-against the works of such w-canical figures as Sir Walter Scott, Charles Dickens, and George Eliot, while also drawing on material from contemporary sermons, histories, and periodicals. Burstein demonstrates how these vels, which popularised Christian visions of change for a mass readership, call into question our assumptions about the nineteenth-century historical vel. In addition, her research and her conceptual frameworks have the potential to influence broader paradigms in Victorian studies and vel criticism.
- Author BiographyMiriam Elizabeth Burstein is associate professor of English at the College at Brockport, State University of New York.
- Author(s)Miriam Elizabeth Burstein
- PublisherUniversity of Notre Dame Press
- Date of Publication30/12/2013
- SubjectReligion: Comparative, General & Reference
- Place of PublicationNotre Dame IN
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintUniversity of Notre Dame Press
- Weight476 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine23 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Management: the Essentials by Mary Coulter, Megan Woods, Stephen Robbins, David De Cenzo (Paperback, 2015)
- AU $111.65New
- AU $93.38Used
- AU $93.38New
- AU $101.47New
- AU $80.95New
Save on Textbooks
- AU $69.90Trending at AU $82.00
- AU $88.13Trending at AU $90.54
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $78.44
- AU $39.02Trending at AU $50.24
- AU $69.88Trending at AU $74.12
- AU $104.88Trending at AU $108.80
- AU $21.33Trending at AU $23.60
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.