All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionSet in the islands of the Malay Archipelago, Victory tells the story of a disillusioned Swede, Axel Heyst, who rescues Lena, a young English musician, from the clutches of a brutish German hotel owner. Seeking refuge at Heyst s remote island retreat on Samburan, the couple is soon besieged by three villains dispatched by the enraged hotelier. The arrival on the island paradise of this trio of fiends sets off a terrifying series of events that ultimately ends in catastrophe. With Victory, Conrad inaugurated a new style and aesthetic, writes Peter Lancelot Mallios in his Introduction. The tremendous literary sophistication to be found in Victory does t result in the exclusion of the popular reader. The text of this Modern Library Paperback Classic was set from the first British edition, published by Methuen & Co. in 1915.
- Author BiographyPeter Lancelot Mallios is an assistant professor of English and American Studies at the University of Maryland.
- Author(s)Joseph Conrad,Peter Lancelot Mallios
- PublisherRandom House USA Inc
- Date of Publication09/10/2003
- SubjectGeneral & Literary Fiction
- Series TitleModern Library classics
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintRandom House Inc
- Out-of-print date07/10/2008
- Weight316 g
- Width133 mm
- Height206 mm
- Spine22 mm
Best-selling in Fiction Books
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $47.99Trending at AU $53.25
- AU $24.16Trending at AU $29.95
- AU $62.20Trending at AU $75.18
- AU $19.98Trending at AU $20.58
- AU $29.99Trending at AU $31.14
- AU $47.56Trending at AU $49.65
- AU $20.51Trending at AU $24.13
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.