All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe Islamic Orient studies the travel accounts of four British travelers during the nineteenth century. Through a critical analysis of these works, the author examines and questions Edward Said's concept of Orientalism and Orientalist discourse: his argument that the orientalist view had such a strong influence on westerners that they invariably perceived the orient through the lens of orientalism. On the contrary, the author argues, single factor had an overwhelming influence on them. She shows that westerners often struggled with their own conceptions of the orient, and being away for long periods from their homelands, were in fact able to stand between cultures and view them both as insiders and outsiders. The literary devices used to examine these writings are structure, characterization, satire, landscape description, and word choice, as also the social and political milieu of the writers. The major influences in the author's analysis are Said, Foucault, Abdel-Malek and Marie Louise Pratt.
- Author BiographyPallavi Pandit Laisram is at the Institute of Chartered Financial Analysts, Hyderabad, India. She has been Adjunct Faculty, Montgomery College, Maryland, USA, and has just returned to India after completing her Ph.D. from the Pennsylvania State University, USA.
- Author(s)Pallavi Pandit Laisram
- PublisherTaylor & Francis Ltd
- Date of Publication31/03/2006
- SubjectHistory: World & General
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintRoutledge India
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight498 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine21 mm
- Format DetailsPaper over boards
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
- AU $61.65New
- AU $7.64New
- AU $20.61New
- AU $33.28New
- AU $29.94New
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $59.99Trending at AU $61.65
- AU $3.99Trending at AU $7.64
- AU $40.94Trending at AU $51.58
- AU $32.35Trending at AU $51.03
- AU $29.54Trending at AU $29.94
- AU $56.72Trending at AU $63.10
- AU $26.83Trending at AU $32.36
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.