All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionShedding light on the relationship between violence and contemporary society, this volume explores the distinctive but little-kwn theories of violence in the work of Georges Bataille and Jean Baudrillard, applying these to a range of violent events - events often labelled 'inexplicable' - in order to show how even the most extreme of acts can be seen as socially meaningful. The book offers an understanding of violence as fundamental to social relations and social organisation, departing from studies that focus on individual offenders and their psychological states to concentrate instead on the symbolic relations or exchanges between agents and between agents and the structures they find themselves inhabiting. Developing the tion of symbolic ecomies of violence to emphasise the volatility and ambivalence of social exchanges, Violence, Society and Radical Theory reveals the importance to our understanding of violence, of the relationship between the structural or systemic violence of consumer capitalist society and forms of 'counter-violence' which attack this system. A theoretically rich yet grounded expansion of that which can be considered meaningful or thinkable within sociological theory, this ground-breaking book will appeal to scholars and students of social and political theory and contemporary philosophy.
- Author BiographyWilliam Pawlett is Senior Lecturer in the School of Law, Social Sciences and Communication at the University of Wolverhampton, UK. He is author of Georges Bataille: The Sacred and Society (forthcoming), and Jean Baudrillard: Against Banality.
- Author(s)William Pawlett
- PublisherTaylor & Francis Ltd
- Date of Publication28/10/2013
- SubjectSocial Studies: General
- Series TitleClassical and Contemporary Social Theory
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintAshgate Publishing Limited
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight464 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine11 mm
- Series Edited byDr. Stjepan Mestrovic
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $38.44Trending at AU $43.86
- AU $35.05Trending at AU $36.68
- AU $27.64Trending at AU $34.95
- AU $22.22Trending at AU $31.05
- AU $29.06Trending at AU $39.11
- AU $20.74Trending at AU $24.30
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $24.26
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.