All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionFollowing the violence of Amritsar in 1919, Gandhi emerged as the leader of the Indian nationalist movement, and the missionary situation in India changed forever. Whilst most European missionaries lamented the loss of a friendly spirit between Englishman and Indian, a few took up Gandhi's challenge to make atonement for the wrongs of British imperialism. An American, Samuel Stokes, became a leading figure in the Indian National Congress and was imprisoned because of his pro-Gandhian activities. An Englishman, Verrier Elwin rankled officialdom with anti-British activities and was deported. This study repatriates Stokes and Elwin. It observes a continuity between their earlier missionary activities and their later careers as horticulturist and anthropologist respectively. It discerns in Stokes and Elwin and in other missionaries such as C.F. Andrews, Edward Thompson and Jack Winslow, a distinct strand of missionary thought and practice in the troubled inter-war years.
- Author BiographyThe Author: William W. Emilsen was born in Leeton, New South Wales in 1948. He is a graduate in Science, Theology and History, and received his Ph.D. from the University of Sydney. He currently lectures in Church History at United Theological College, North Parramatta in Sydney, Australia. He is especially interested in Christianity in Asia.
- Author(s)William W. Emilsen
- PublisherPeter Lang GmbH
- Date of Publication01/04/1994
- SubjectChristianity: General
- Series TitleStudies in the Intercultural History of Christianity
- Series Part/Volume Numberv. 89
- Place of PublicationFrankfurt am Main
- Country of PublicationGermany
- First Published1994
- ImprintPeter Lang GmbH
- Content Note3 fig.
- Weight530 g
- Width148 mm
- Height210 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
- AU $191.05New
- AU $111.93New
- AU $93.61Used
- AU $93.61New
- AU $101.72New
- AU $81.15New
Save on Textbooks
- AU $69.90Trending at AU $82.20
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $78.64
- AU $39.00Trending at AU $50.36
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $74.31
- AU $104.88Trending at AU $109.06
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.