All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis book explores various aspects of violence and the attendant emotional, psychological, biological and social features that may be found to accompany these states in children. It highlights the importance of prevention and early intervention and the implicit use of therapy to help children who are in these vulnerable and dangerous states of mind and body. Interdisciplinary research is also advocated as a research tool to help us to obtain as complete an understanding as possible of violence and it's vicissitudes in children.Because violence may have many antecedents and consequences in the mind, the provision of Psychoanalytic Psychotherapy is a very useful and elucidative method to use as a form of intervention. This book rests on fundamental psychoanalytic principles and processes as well as something very simple that we all kw, yet tend to lose sight of: that children and parents who have increased social and emotional support in our society are less likely to develop pathological ways of coping with the various stressors and strains that are in part an inevitable element of living in the 21st century, and which may also be at times an inherent part of our psycho-biological make-up. Clinical material in all the chapters of this book also provide supporting evidence for how useful psychotherapy can be for children who have already developed coping strategies that are pathological, particularly in relation to violence. Research has found that too many obstacles are actually placed in the way of allowing violent children to receive the necessary treatment that could help them to overcome their violent tendencies.
- Author BiographyRosemary Campher is a Practising UKCP registered Psychotherapist who works with children and adults. She lectures Psychology and Psychotherapy at the British American College in London and works in private practice with children, adults and supervisees. She has worked for fifteen years with children. Special interests include Psychoanalysis, Child Therapy and Early Intervention and Prevention Programmes.
- PublisherKarnac Books
- Date of Publication01/03/2008
- SubjectPsychology: Textbooks & Study Guides
- Series TitleThe Forensic Psychotherapy Monograph Series
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintKarnac Books
- Weight458 g
- Width147 mm
- Height230 mm
- Spine19 mm
- Edited byRosemary Campher
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $57.99Trending at AU $62.11
- AU $34.67Trending at AU $36.61
- AU $73.13Trending at AU $74.82
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $23.76
- AU $37.59Trending at AU $40.09
- AU $34.02Trending at AU $36.09
- AU $28.51Trending at AU $29.80
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.