All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionCutting though the exaggerated and fanciful beliefs about the new possibilities of 'net life', Hine produces a distinctive understanding of the significance of the Internet and addresses such questions as: what challenges do the new techlogies of communication pose for research methods? Does the Internet force us to rethink traditional categories of 'culture' and 'society'? In this compelling and thoughtful book, Hine shows that the Internet is both a site for cultural formations and a cultural artefact which is shaped by people's understandings and expectations. The Internet requires a new form of ethgraphy. The author considers the shape of this new ethgraphy and guides readers through its application in multiple settings.
- Author BiographyChristine Hine is a Senior Lecturer in the Department of Sociology at the University of Surrey. She joined the Department in 2003, having previously worked at Brunel University within the Department of Human Sciences and the Centre for Research into Innovation, Culture and Technology. Hine was President of the European Association for the Study of Science and Technology from 2004 to 2008. She has published widely in virtual research methods, with a particular focus on online ethnography; her first major work, Virtual Ethnography, enjoyed a considerable success as one of the pioneering works to explore the integration of the Internet with existing methodological principles in qualitative research. Her main research centres on the sociology of science and technology, including ethnographic studies of scientific culture, information technology and the Internet, and she has also taken a lead role in promoting discussion of methodologies for sociological understanding of the Internet.
- Author(s)Christine Hine
- PublisherSAGE Publications Ltd
- Date of Publication04/04/2000
- SubjectSociology & Anthropology: Professional
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintSAGE Publications Ltd
- Content Note1, black & white illustrations
- Weight444 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine12 mm
- Format DetailsLaminated cover
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $79.89Trending at AU $90.30
- AU $17.51Trending at AU $30.29
- AU $24.13Trending at AU $27.75
- AU $41.84Trending at AU $49.87
- AU $31.46Trending at AU $40.58
- AU $27.51Trending at AU $30.44
- AU $35.26Trending at AU $35.87
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.