All listings for this product
About this product
- Description'Virtual Voyages' is a fascinating account of the European discovery of the elusive 'great south land' told through the literature of 'imaginary voyages'. Written at the height of the era of European maritime exploration, these bizarre and captivating tales, with their wildly imaginative visions of antipodean inversion and strangeness, reveal a hidden history of attitudes to colonization. By exposing the relationship between myth and reality in the antipodes, this book casts new light on the power of fiction to influence history.
- Author BiographyPaul Longley Arthur studied at The University of Western Australia and was a research fellow at Murdoch University and Curtin University before taking up a position in the History program at The Australian National University. He has held visiting fellowships at research centres in Europe, North America and Australia, and has published widely on the history of technology, media, travel and empire. See www.paularthur.com.
- Author(s)Paul Longley Arthur
- PublisherAnthem Press
- Date of Publication26/09/2011
- SubjectLiterary Criticism
- Series TitleAnthem Studies in Travel
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintAnthem Press
- Content Note30+ figures
- Weight590 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine25 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $79.65Trending at AU $96.35
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $74.37
- AU $35.43Trending at AU $40.71
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $79.35
- AU $18.96Trending at AU $24.44
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $49.03
- AU $16.98Trending at AU $18.30
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.