All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $24.68Trending at AU $42.56
- AU $78.00Trending at AU $87.92
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $73.76
- AU $71.88Trending at AU $73.54
- AU $82.90Trending at AU $85.42
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $79.41
- AU $34.72Trending at AU $42.64
About this product
- DescriptionIt pulls punches, shuns controversial topic, and glosses over issues or problems that beset America's law enforcement community in our day. For those who may be prone to suspect the motives of these self-confessed lovers of cops and warriors, the title of this book...should be sufficient to allay such concerns. -John C. Hall, Supervisory Special Agent, FBI (Retd.), from the Foreword Virtuous Policing: Bridging America's Gulf Between Police and Populace is a vigorous assessment and commentary on governmental uses of force, whether by civilian law enforcement officers in the United States or by military service members overseas. In the wake of recent controversies such as events in Ferguson, Missouri, and Baltimore, Maryland, this book presents strategies to ease rising tensions in citizen-law enforcement relations. The book particularly addresses the growing division between members of the police and citizenry due to a number of factors, including the effects of some press members who are more interested in cultivating sensational stories of rogue cops than in discovering and disseminating facts. Also, with the abundance of information-true and false-available on the Internet and the increasing utilization of social media, techlogy contributes to the rising friction between citizens and police. Rather than make unrealistic arguments for curtailing media and techlogy, it suggests solutions that are reasonable, practical, and, most importantly, peaceful. The authors examine law enforcement policies, procedures, and leadership methods in relation to four cardinal virtues: self-control, justice, competency, and moral courage. Case studies illustrate ethical, legal, psychological, and tactical issues that law enforcement and the military have to address in establishing and maintaining good and peaceable governance. With an eye toward minimizing or avoiding future violent confrontations between citizens and those who have sworn to protect them, Virtuous Policing makes recommendations on how law enforcement and military leaders can better train and lead their subordinates. It provides legitimate leadership guidance and peaceful solutions to the growing gap between America's citizenry and its police.
- Author BiographyLieutenant Colonel David G. Bolgiano, USAF (retired), is a former police officer, paratrooper and military officer. He has lectured and testified as an expert in the Ethical, Legal and Tactical Dynamics of Deadly Force Encounters. He served in three combat deployments with airborne and special operations forces and is the author of Combat Self-Defense and co-author of Fighting Today's Wars. Colonel L. Morgan Banks, USA (retired), served 37 years in the U.S. Army, with most of that time as the command psychologist for various special operations units. He is a former Green Beret and his career culminated with a 10-year tenure as the senior psychologist for the Army Special Operations Command. He has served multiple tours in combat zones and is the author and co-author of several book chapters. He routinely lectures on the ethics involved in operational psychology. Colonel James M. Patterson, USA (retired), is a former Green Beret and command legal advisor for 1st Special Forces Operational Detachment Delta (Delta Force) and other elite units. He has served multiple combat tours in America's war on terror. He is co-author with David G. Bolgiano of Fighting Today's Wars.
- Author(s)David G. Bolgiano,James M. Patterson,L. Morgan Banks
- PublisherTaylor & Francis Inc
- Date of Publication30/07/2015
- SubjectSocial Issues, Services & Welfare
- Series Title500 Tips
- Place of PublicationPortland
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintProductivity Press
- Content Note3 black & white illustrations
- Weight362 g
- Width156 mm
- Height235 mm
- Spine15 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.