All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionAs early as the 1950s, Professor Irving Lavin was -recognized as a major voice in American art history. His sustained production of seminal scholarly contributions has left its mark on an astonishingly wide range of subjects and fields. Bringing these far-reaching publications together will t only provide a valuable resource to scholars and students, but will also underscore fundamental themes in the history of art - historicism, the art of commemoration, the relationship between style and meaning, the -intelligence of artists - themes that define the role of the visual arts in human communication.
Irving Lavin is best kwn for his array of fundamental publications on the Baroque artist Gian Lorenzo Bernini (1598-1680). These include new discoveries and studies on the master's prodigious childhood, his architecture and portraiture, his invention of caricature, his depictions of religious faith and political leadership, his work in the theatre, his attitude toward death and the role of the artist in the creation of a modern sense of social responsibility. All of Professor Lavin's papers on Bernini are here brought together in three volumes. The studies have been reset and in many cases updated, and there is a comprehensive index. Volume 1 Contents: Preface Review of Rudolf Wittkower, Gian Lorenzo Bernini. The Sculptor of the Roman Baroque Bernini and the Theater Bozzetti and Modelli. Notes on Sculptural Procedure from the Early Renaissance through Bernini Bernini and the Crossing of Saint Peter's Five Youthful Sculptures by Gianlorenzo Bernini and a Revised Chrology of his Early Works Bernini's Death; Afterthoughts on Bernini's Death Letter to the Editor on a review by Howard Hibbard of Bernini and the Crossing of St. Peter's Calculated Spontaneity. Bernini and the Terracotta Sketch On the Pedestal of Bernini's Bust of the Savior High and Low Before their Time: Bernini and the Art of Social Satire Bernini's Memorial Plaque for Carlo Barberini Bernini's Baldachin: Considering a Reconsideration Bernini's Bust of Cardinal Montalto; Bernini's Cosmic Eagle Bernini's Image of the Sun King. Introduction.
- Author(s)Irving Lavin
- PublisherPindar Press
- Date of Publication31/12/2007
- SubjectFine Arts / Art History
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintPindar Press
- Content Note346 illus.
- Weight2018 g
- Width178 mm
- Height249 mm
- Spine43 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $67.92Trending at AU $111.00
- AU $35.04Trending at AU $40.67
- AU $18.56Trending at AU $24.44
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $48.98
- AU $16.99Trending at AU $18.29
- AU $51.95Trending at AU $53.03
- AU $22.59Trending at AU $27.63
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.