All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionSelected from papers given at the first annual conference of the Society of Dix-Neuviemistes, the nineteen essays in this volume contribute diversely towards a revision and a reconceptualisation of nineteenth-century France. Many adopt interdisciplinary methodologies attentive to the interplay between literature, history, art, popular and high culture, politics and science. The wide-ranging discussion of issues such as identity, alterity, commemoration, cultural history, tensions between centre and margins, mimesis and representation, suggest that simplistic snapshot of this century is possible. Opening with a section on the modernity of the nineteenth century, the volume continues with sections on cultural transfer, war, readings and re-readings, and concludes with two essays on questions of identity. The critical reappraisals put forward here offer us various insights into directions in which nineteenth-century French studies are heading at the turn of ather new century.
- Author BiographyThe Editors: Nigel Harkness, M.A., Ph.D. (Edinburgh) is Lecturer in French at The Queen's University of Belfast, and has published on French women writers of the nineteenth century. Paul Rowe, BA, Ph.D. (Birmingham), is Lecturer in French at the University of Leeds, and has published on nineteenth-century French cultural history. Tim Unwin, M.A. (Cantab), Ph.D. (Exeter), is Professor of French at the University of Bristol, and has published on nineteenth-century realist fiction. Jennifer Yee, Ph.D. (Universite de Paris VII), is Lecturer in French at the University of Newcastle, and has published on French colonial fiction of the late nineteenth century.
- PublisherVerlag Peter Lang
- Date of Publication01/02/2004
- SubjectHistory: World & General
- Series TitleFrench Studies of the Eighteenth and Nineteenth Centuries
- Series Part/Volume Number14
- Place of PublicationPieterlen
- Country of PublicationSwitzerland
- ImprintVerlag Peter Lang
- Content Note2 ill., 4 tables
- Weight480 g
- Width150 mm
- Height220 mm
- Edited byJennifer Yee,Nigel Harkness,Paul Rowe,Tim Unwin
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $85.90Trending at AU $90.74
- AU $78.00Trending at AU $83.67
- AU $95.88Trending at AU $100.17
- AU $64.63Trending at AU $68.59
- AU $104.88Trending at AU $106.99
- AU $99.90Trending at AU $101.25
- AU $95.00Trending at AU $98.79
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.