Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $27.54Trending at AU $43.72
- AU $70.98Trending at AU $87.50
- AU $62.89Trending at AU $77.17
- AU $78.98Trending at AU $85.01
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $79.03
- AU $34.78Trending at AU $42.43
- AU $21.22Trending at AU $24.76
About this product
- DescriptionThis book explores how tions of deviancy and social control are dramatized in the vels of the late nineteenth-century Spanish realist author Benito Perez Galdos. Galdos' treatment of prostitutes, alcoholics, beggars and vagrants is studied within the context of the socio-cultural and medical debates circulating during the period. Drawing on Foucault's very specific conceptualization of the idea of control through discourses, the book analyzes how Galdos' vels interacted with contemporary debates on poverty and deviancy tably, discourses on hygiene, domesticity and philanthropy. It is proposed that Galdos' view of marginal social groups was much more open-minded, shrewd and liberal than the often inflexible prouncements made by contemporary professional voices.
- Author BiographyTeresa Peris Fuentes is Professor in the Spanish at University Of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign.
- Author(s)Teresa Peris Fuentes
- PublisherLiverpool University Press
- Date of Publication04/08/2003
- SubjectLiterary Criticism
- Place of PublicationLiverpool
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintLiverpool University Press
- Weight466 g
- Width163 mm
- Height239 mm
- Spine15 mm
- Format DetailsCloth
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.