All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionVisions of Paradise showcases new scholarly research on the monumental Palmieri Altarpiece by Francesco Botticini (1446-1498). The painting, which depicts the Assumption of the Virgin, was made for the funerary chapel of the Florentine citizen Matteo Palmieri (1406-1475). Palmieri was a true Renaissance Man -an associate of the Medici and a humanist, whose career encompassed a variety of roles, as diplomat, poet, writer, and apothecary. In this book, Jennifer Sliwka uncovers new insights about the culture that produced this stunning altarpiece and the fascinating patron who commissioned it. In addition to its religious content, the altarpiece depicts a paramic landscape that serves as a very early example of a city portrait of Florence; this accurate, detailed view, which includes Palmieri's villa and farm, predates several of the earliest kwn maps of the city. Sliwka examines what the painting reflects about Florentine society and spiritual beliefs, and sheds light on aspects of the painting-including its authorship, date, theological significance, and original location-that are frequently questioned.
- Author BiographyJennifer Sliwka is Ahmanson Curator in Art and Religion, The National Gallery, London.
- Author(s)Jennifer Sliwka
- PublisherNational Gallery Company Ltd
- Date of Publication03/11/2015
- SubjectIndividual Artists / Art Monographs
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintNational Gallery Company Ltd
- Content Note50 color illus.
- Weight553 g
- Width197 mm
- Height267 mm
- Spine10 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $69.60Trending at AU $91.10
- AU $17.51Trending at AU $30.55
- AU $24.79Trending at AU $28.00
- AU $41.84Trending at AU $50.31
- AU $31.46Trending at AU $40.93
- AU $35.26Trending at AU $36.18
- AU $36.69Trending at AU $37.60
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.