All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionVision is a massively parallel computational process, in which the retinal image is transformed over a sequence of stages so as to emphasize behaviorally relevant information (such as object category and identity) and deemphasize other information (such as viewpoint and lighting). The processes behind vision operate by concurrent computation and message passing among neurons within a visual area and between different areas. The theoretical concept of population code encapsulates the idea that visual content is represented at each stage by the pattern of activity across the local population of neurons. Understanding visual population codes ultimately requires multichannel measurement and multivariate analysis of activity patterns. Over the past decade, the multivariate approach has gained significant momentum in vision research. Functional imaging and cell recording measure brain activity in fundamentally different ways, but they w use similar theoretical concepts and mathematical tools in their modeling and analyses. With a focus on the ventral processing stream thought to underlie object recognition, this book presents recent advances in our understanding of visual population codes, vel multivariate pattern-information analysis techniques, and the beginnings of a unified perspective for cell recording and functional imaging. It serves as an introduction, overview, and reference for scientists and students across disciplines who are interested in human and primate vision and, more generally, in understanding how the brain represents and processes information.
- Author BiographyNikolaus Kriegeskorte is Principal Investigator at the Medical Research Council Cognition and Brain Sciences Unit in Cambridge, UK. Gabriel Kreiman is Assistant Professor in the Department of Ophthalmology at Children's Hospital Boston, Harvard Medical School.
- PublisherMIT Press Ltd
- Date of Publication22/11/2011
- SubjectClinical Medicine: Professional
- Series TitleComputational Neuroscience
- Place of PublicationCambridge, Mass.
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintMIT Press
- Content Note151 b&w illus., 5 tables, 15 color plates
- Weight1203 g
- Width178 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine27 mm
- Edited byGabriel Kreiman,Nikolaus Kriegeskorte
- Interest AgeFrom 18
Best-selling in Other
Save on Other
- AU $34.39Trending at AU $49.85
- AU $45.31Trending at AU $48.56
- AU $27.12Trending at AU $28.77
- AU $17.72Trending at AU $27.27
- AU $18.88Trending at AU $23.86
- AU $16.92Trending at AU $17.50
- AU $14.22Trending at AU $25.90
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.