Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $50.71Trending at AU $62.46
- AU $52.98Trending at AU $72.91
- AU $32.59Trending at AU $36.89
- AU $30.05Trending at AU $40.13
- AU $14.93Trending at AU $22.05
- AU $28.03Trending at AU $30.06
- AU $26.84Trending at AU $29.51
About this product
- DescriptionDespite having composed 140 major works of music, all while pursuing an active and productive career in teaching, Vivian Fine (1913-2000) has t, until w, been the subject of a significant biography or bibliography. Regarded by many as the finest American female composer of the 20th century, Fine enjoyed many accomplishments, which ranged from seeing her works first performed when she was only 18 years old, and witnessing one of her ballets choreographed by Martha Graham, to the achievement of international rewn. Author Judith Cody, who knew Fine personally, provides here a complete bibliography of her compositions, guides to locating published and recorded editions, and analyses of various aspects of the work of this most important figure in American music. Interviews with Fine, combined with extensive research into secondary sources, allow Cody to give shape to a remarkable life, tracing the composer as she moved from child prodigy of Chicago to the center of the modern music and dance movements in New York City in the thirties, forties, and fifties. The result is both an exhaustive reference work and a vibrant portrait of an artist whose talents spanned decades, continents, and nearly every major creative development of the 20th century.
- Author BiographyJUDITH CODY is an independent writer, researcher, poet, and composer who has won national awards for both writing and musical composition. Also a pianist and classical guitarist, she has composed numerous chamber works, published a collection of her poetry, and written on the creative explosions of composers. The Smithsonian Institute has placed her Women's Year Poem in its permanent collection of American history.
- Author(s)Judith Cody
- Date of Publication30/10/2001
- SubjectBiography: The Arts
- Series TitleBio-Bibliographies in Music
- Place of PublicationWestport
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintGreenwood Press
- Content Note1, black & white illustrations
- Weight692 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine23 mm
- Format DetailsLaminated cover
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.