Voegelin Recollected: Conversations on a Life by University of Missouri Press (Hardback, 2008)
Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $114.00Free postage
- Brand new condition
- Sold by simplybestprices-10to20dayshipping
- See details for delivery est.
- AU $106.95+ AU $12.95 postage
- Very good condition
- Sold by ausreseller
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionAlthough his contributions to philosophy are revered and his writings have been collected, Eric Voegelin's persona will inevitably fade with the memories of those who knew him. This book preserves the human element of Voegelin by capturing those valuable personal recollections. Barry Cooper and Jodi Bruhn conducted intensive interviews with Voegelin's wife, his closest friends, and his first-generation students - many of whom have since passed on - in order to bring to print everything important about his life and personality. American scholars will especially appreciate the glimpses provided by Voegelin's German colleagues into his life in Munich, as well as the thoughts of his students in Vienna. Reflections of people such as Paul Caringella, Bru Schlesinger, and Heinz Barazon capture Voegelin's greatness and shortcomings alike and also shed new light on his philosophical quest for truth. By descending progressively further into the past, the book takes readers deeper into the essence of Voegelin as reminiscences become more dramatic. Ranging widely from America back to Germany - with recollections of Gestapo intimidation and eventual emigration - episodes of pathos, humor, fear, rivalry, and ambition are interwoven throughout the accounts. We witness Voegelin's persistent and partly self-imposed communication problems and impatience with administrative duties, his respect for prudent political actors and public servants, and his genuine affection t only for his colleagues and best students but also for diligent secretaries and empathetic nurses. Through these recollections, key elements of his personality repeatedly emerge: his intelligence, optimism, and integrity, combined with an acute perception of the significance of his work. This is the most revealing and comprehensive biographical work yet available on a man kwn to be captivating as a thinker - and w shown to be equally fascinating as a human being. His own publications attest to his mind and methods; Voegelin Recollected provides a deeper understanding of the man himself.
- Author BiographyBarry Cooper is Professor of Political Science at the University of Calgary and author of numerous books, including Eric Voegelin and the Foundations of Modern Political Science (University of Missouri Press). Jodi Bruhn is the co-editor and translator of The Collected Works of Eric Voegelin, Volume 13: Selected Book Reviews (University of Missouri Press). She is an editor and translator based in Ottawa, Ontario.
- PublisherUniversity of Missouri Press
- Date of Publication15/02/2008
- SubjectBiography: General
- Series TitleEric Voegelin Institute Series in Political Philosophy
- Place of PublicationMissouri
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintUniversity of Missouri Press
- Content Note15 illustrations, index
- Weight635 g
- Width156 mm
- Height235 mm
- Spine27 mm
- Edited byBarry Cooper,Jodi Bruhn
Best Selling in Textbooks
Marketing Management: an Asian Perspective by Swee Hoon Ang, Kevin Lane Keller, Siew-Meng Leong, Chin Tiong Tan, Philip Kotler (Paperback, 2013)
- AU $72.16New
- AU $64.84Used
- AU $78.59New
- AU $105.40New
- AU $75.53Used
Save on Textbooks
- AU $34.52Trending at AU $64.59
- AU $21.87Trending at AU $23.06
- AU $19.90Trending at AU $22.97
- AU $17.62Trending at AU $19.40
- AU $70.00Trending at AU $88.31
- AU $84.90Trending at AU $87.71
- AU $89.90Trending at AU $94.39
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.