All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionTsering Woeser and Wang Lixiong are widely regarded as the most eloquent, insightful writers on contemporary Tibet. Their reportage on the ecomic exploitation, environmental degrada-tion, cultural destruction and political subjugation that plague the increasingly Han Chinese-dominated Tibet Automous Region (TAR) is as powerful as it is profound, ardent and analytical in equal measure, and t in the least bit ideological.
Voices from Tibet assembles essays and reportage in translation that captures many facets of the upheavals wrought by a rising China upon a scared land and its pious people. With the TAR in a virtual lockdown after the 2008 unrest, this book sheds import- ant light on the simmering frustrations that touched off the unrest and Beijing's relentless control tactics in its wake. The authors also interrogate long-standing assumptions about Tibetans' political future.
Woeser's and Wang's writings represent a rare Chinese view sympathetic to Tibetan causes, one that should resonate in places confronting threats of cultural subjugation and ecomic domination by an external power.
- Author BiographyHaving discovered her Tibetan heritage as a young adult, Tsering Woeser now occupies a unique position as chronicler of modern Tibetan memory. In 2011 she was awarded the Prince Claus Prize and the International Women of Courage Award by the U.S. Department of State.
Wang Lixiong is a renowned observer of Chinese-Tibetan relations and ethnic minorities issues within China and has been recognized with the Freedom of Expression Award from the Independent Chinese PEN Association.
Violet Law is an American translator of Chinese non-fiction.
- Author(s)Tsering Woeser,Wang Lixiong
- PublisherUniversity of Hawai'i Press
- Date of Publication28/02/2014
- SubjectHistory: Specific Subjects
- Place of PublicationHonolulu, HI
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintUniversity of Hawai'i Press
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations, maps, colour plates
- Weight186 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine8 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
- AU $189.94New
Management: the Essentials by Mary Coulter, Megan Woods, Stephen Robbins, David De Cenzo (Paperback, 2015)
- AU $111.27New
- AU $93.07Used
- AU $93.07New
- AU $101.13New
Marketing Management: an Asian Perspective by Swee Hoon Ang, Kevin Lane Keller, Siew-Meng Leong, Chin Tiong Tan, Philip Kotler (Paperback, 2013)
- AU $73.88New
- AU $61.04Used
Save on Textbooks
- AU $69.90Trending at AU $81.72
- AU $87.90Trending at AU $90.24
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $78.18
- AU $39.10Trending at AU $50.07
- AU $69.89Trending at AU $73.88
- AU $104.88Trending at AU $108.43
- AU $21.33Trending at AU $23.52
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.