All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionIn Voicing Memory Nick Nesbilt argues that the aesthetic practices of twentieth-century French Caribbean writers reconstruct a historical awareness that had been lost amid the repressive violence of slavery, the plantation system, and colonial exploitation. Drawing on the work of Aime Cesaire, Edouard Glissant, Daniel Maximin, Maryse Conde, and Edwidge Danticat, he shows how these writers use the critical force of the aesthetic imagination to transform the parameters of Antillean experience. The author takes the aesthetic practices of the black Atlantic - Antillean poetry, literature, and theater, but also Haitian vodou and visual arts, American jazz, and West African musical traditions - to constitute the models informing this Caribbean vernacular historiography. At the same time, Nesbitt shows how concepts from Cesaire's negritude to Glissant's relation critically rework European theoretical influences to construct a black Atlantic historical self-consciousness. In so doing, Nesbitt points beyond the regionalism of Antillean exoticism to describe French Caribbean literature as a decisive intervention in the construction of a global modernity.
- Author BiographyNick Nesbitt is Assistant Professor of French in the Department of French and Italian Studies at Miami University, Ohio.
- Author(s)Nick Nesbitt
- PublisherUniversity of Virginia Press
- Date of Publication28/02/2003
- SubjectLiterary Criticism
- Series TitleNew World Studies
- Place of PublicationCharlottesville
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintUniversity of Virginia Press
- Content NoteIllustrations
- Weight422 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine20 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $78.84Trending at AU $111.00
- AU $35.04Trending at AU $40.67
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $77.96
- AU $18.76Trending at AU $24.41
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $48.98
- AU $16.98Trending at AU $18.29
- AU $51.96Trending at AU $53.03
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.