All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionOn the eve of World War I, Russia, t kwn as a nation of joiners, had thousands of voluntary associations. Joseph Bradley examines the crucial role of voluntary associations in the development of civil society in Russia from the late eighteenth to the early twentieth century. Russians populated a growing public sphere with societies based on the model of the European enlightenment. Owing to the mission of such learned associations as the Free Ecomic Society, the Moscow Agricultural Society, and the Russian Geographical Society, civil society became inextricably linked to patriotism and the dissemination of scientific kwledge. Although civil society and the autocratic state are often described as bitter rivals, cooperation in the project of national prestige and prosperity was more often the rule. However, an increasing public assertiveness challenged autocratic authority, and associations became a focal point of a contradictory political culture: they fostered a state-society partnership but at the same time were a critical element in the effort to emancipate society from autocracy and arbitrary officialdom. In examining the role of voluntary associations in the formation of civil society, Bradley offers new ways to view public life in tsarist Russia and suggests how the practice, as well as the idea, of citizenship could emerge under autocracy.
- Author BiographyJoseph Bradley is Professor of History at the University of Tulsa.
- Author(s)Joseph Bradley
- PublisherHarvard University Press
- Date of Publication16/06/2009
- SubjectHistory: Specific Subjects
- Place of PublicationCambridge, Mass
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintHarvard University Press
- Content Note25 halftones
- Weight703 g
- Width155 mm
- Height235 mm
- Spine33 mm
- Format DetailsUnsewn / adhesive bound,Cloth over boards,With printed dust jacket
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $79.69Trending at AU $111.84
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $74.50
- AU $35.45Trending at AU $40.79
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $79.50
- AU $19.57Trending at AU $23.99
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $49.12
- AU $16.99Trending at AU $18.34
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.