All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe subject of this book is the physics of vortices. A detailed analysis of the dynamics of vortices will be presented. The important topics of vorticity and molecular spin will be dealt with, including the electromagnetic analogy and quantization in superfluids. The effect of molecular spin on the dynamics of molecular na-confined fluids using the extended Navier-Stokes equations will also be covered -especially important to the theory and applicability of nafluidics and associated devices. The nascale boundary layer and nascale vortex core are regions of intense vorticity (molecular spin). It will be shown, based on molecular kinetic theory and thermodynamics, that the macroscopic (solid body) rotation must be accompanied by internal rotation of the molecules. Electric polarization of the internal molecular rotations about the local rotation axis -the Barnett effect - occurs. In such a spin aligned system, major changes in the physical properties of the fluid result.
- Author BiographyProfessor McCormack has made significant contributions to the US space program, as an Engineering Science professor at Dartmouth, and later as Chief of Operational Medicine at NASA. He subsequently served as Chief of Aerospace Medicine Research at the Naval Air Warfare Center. He received a US Navy Commendation Medal in 1998, and the German Navy Cross of Honor in 2000. A member of the UIC Bioengineering faculty since 2001, Professor McCormack serves on the Advisory Council for the National Institute for Biomedical Imaging and Bioengineering (NIBIB), and gives frequent invited talks on nanobiology and radiation damage.
- Author(s)Percival D. McCormack
- PublisherSpringer-Verlag New York Inc.
- Date of Publication20/09/2011
- Series TitleSpringerBriefs in Physics
- Place of PublicationNew York, NY
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintSpringer-Verlag New York Inc.
- Content Note1, black & white illustrations
- Weight231 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine7 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
- Edition Statement2012
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $16.08Trending at AU $23.34
- AU $69.60Trending at AU $91.10
- AU $17.51Trending at AU $30.55
- AU $24.13Trending at AU $28.00
- AU $41.84Trending at AU $50.31
- AU $31.46Trending at AU $40.93
- AU $27.51Trending at AU $30.71
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.