Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $50.71Trending at AU $61.55
- AU $32.59Trending at AU $36.88
- AU $32.77Trending at AU $40.84
- AU $30.36Trending at AU $40.12
- AU $30.37Trending at AU $31.39
- AU $15.79Trending at AU $25.15
- AU $14.47Trending at AU $16.66
About this product
- DescriptionThis study of the expansion of the Southern electorate between 1952 and 1984 is reminiscent of William R. Keech's The Impact of Negro Voting in its use of empirical data and in its rigorous analysis that punctures myths and conventional wisdom about the consequences of increased voter participation...Despite its methodological sophistication and pervasive quantitative analysis, the text is sufficiently comprehensible for its arguments and findings to be of interest to general readers. Chioce Stanley analyzes the accepted understanding of what happened in the South, which is that increased black political participation triggered racial counter-mobilization by whites. He finds this understanding to be inadequate. He contends that easier registration did facilitate black participation, yet racial countermobilization had almost importance for increased white participation. Using presidential election survey data from 1952 to 1984, Stanley establishes why Southern turut, both white and black, rose. He demonstrates how partisan competition, socioecomic conditions, media usage, and other factors facilitated registration and voting. Indivuduals studying state and local government, civil rights, Southern politics, or political parties and elections will surely gain important information and invaluable insight from this book.
- Author BiographyHAROLD W. STANLEY is Professor of Political Science at the University of Rochester.
- Author(s)Harold W. Stanley
- Date of Publication10/08/1987
- SubjectGovernment & Constitution
- Place of PublicationWestport
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintPraeger Publishers Inc
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight465 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine12 mm
- Format DetailsLaminated cover
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.