All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $27.54Trending at AU $44.05
- AU $80.99Trending at AU $88.14
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $77.73
- AU $71.88Trending at AU $73.43
- AU $82.90Trending at AU $85.64
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $79.61
- AU $34.73Trending at AU $42.75
About this product
- DescriptionWaikiki: A History of Forgetting and Remembering presents a compelling cultural and environmental history of the area, exploring its place t only in the popular imagination, but also through the experiences of those who lived there. Employing a wide range of primary and secondary sources - including historical texts and photographs, government documents, newspaper accounts, posters, advertisements, and personal interviews - an artist and a cultural historian join forces to reveal how rich agricultural sites and sacred places were transformed into one of the world's most famous vacation destinations. The story of Waikiki's conversion from a vital self-sufficient community to a tourist dystopia is one of colonial oppression and unchecked capitalist development, both of which have fundamentally transformed all of Hawai'i. Colonialism and capitalism have t only changed the look and function of the landscape, but also how Native Hawaiians, immigrants, settlers, and visitors interact with one ather and with the islands' natural resources. The book's creators counter this narrative of displacement and destruction with stories - less kwn or forgotten - of resistance and protest.
- Author BiographyGaye Chan is an artist and teaches at the University of Hawai'i. Andrea Feeser is a writer and teaches art history, previously at the University of Hawai'i and currently at Clemson University. In 1998 Chan and Feeser founded Down Wind Productions, a collaborative of activists, artists, and educators, to explore the past and present effects of colonialism, capitalism, and tourism in Waikiki.
- Author(s)Gaye Chan,Ms. Andrea Feeser
- PublisherUniversity of Hawai'i Press
- Date of Publication15/11/2006
- SubjectLocal History, Names & Genealogy
- Place of PublicationHonolulu, HI
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintUniversity of Hawai'i Press
- Content Note122 illustrations
- Weight1039 g
- Width229 mm
- Height279 mm
- Spine18 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.