All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionDuring the First World War, there were five air bases in Wales: two airship stations, at Llangefni on Anglesey (RNAS Anglesey) and at Milton in Pembrokeshire (RNAS Pembroke), a fighter/bomber station at Aber (RNAS Bangor) and a seaplane base at Fishguard (RNAS Fishguard). The Royal Flying Corps flying training school at Shotwick came into service in 1917. This book is an historical account of the contribution of squadrons and aircraft based on airfields in Wales to deterring enemy submarines from attacking shipping around the coast, including details of the operations conducted from the bases, the exploits of various airships during their long patrols, the mishaps, the actions and the tragedies. It also gives a detailed account of all the airships and aircraft based in Wales, and tells the story of the training of First World War pilots at Shotwick.
- Author BiographyAlan Phillips was born in Pembrokeshire, on the south-west coast of Wales, the region most associated with air defence in the two World Wars. After leaving college he joined the Royal Air Force. After completing his term in the RAF he worked for the Ministry of Defence. He is a member of the Airfield Research Group and has written several articles for aviation magazines and local newspapers, as well as several books on aviation, castles and various fortifications. He lives in Colwyn Bay.
- Author(s)Alan Phillips
- PublisherAmberley Publishing
- Date of Publication10/09/2015
- SubjectMilitary History
- Place of PublicationChalford
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintAmberley Publishing
- Content Note80
- Weight227 g
- Width165 mm
- Height235 mm
- Spine10 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
- AU $62.02New
- AU $5.82New
- AU $22.48New
- AU $33.47New
- AU $30.62New
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $59.99Trending at AU $62.02
- AU $40.94Trending at AU $51.88
- AU $32.35Trending at AU $51.33
- AU $29.58Trending at AU $30.62
- AU $49.30Trending at AU $53.06
- AU $26.83Trending at AU $32.55
- AU $39.21Trending at AU $43.67
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.